Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Georg Kallidis <ge...@cedis.fu-berlin.de> on 2021/01/15 12:15:04 UTC

Re: Re: Need some help: was: svn commit: r1885148 - /turbine/core/branches/URLMapperService/ - about yaml

yes, the problem is that although commons configuration does implement
yaml style, it's intention is "configuration", which is very similar like
reading single entries (line by line) in property style - not
mapping/deserializing it into a class.

This was done here for the url mapper quite easily, as the mapping classes
already existed. Another advange was, that in the map patterns the xml
entity escaping could be removed, which makes them more readable...

But it was kind of an exercise/showcase.

Using it (e.g. in a fulcrum component) would imply a different mechanism
than now: Dropping the commons configuration and instead mapping the yml
file to a mapper class, where the configuration assignments would take
place or could be retrieved. This is just a thought about, how this might
be used at more places. May be the intake fulcrum component would be the
best candidate, as there already xml mapper classes are provided ...

Generally I think using yaml does lower the entry bar level to use a
software project (i.e. Turbine) and might even what "newcomers" expect. If
it could be done (as in this case) with very little effort, I think we
could afford to provide it (at least as an optional feature, which it's
still).

Best regards, Georg

Von:    Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>
An:     Turbine Developers List <de...@turbine.apache.org>
Datum:  15.01.2021 10:13
Betreff:        Re: Need some help: was: svn commit: r1885148 -
/turbine/core/branches/URLMapperService/

Hi Georg,

On 13.01.21 17:40, Georg Kallidis wrote:
> I just already updated the branch adding some tests (and one peformance
> test) and a yaml-configuration option (using the jackson library).

I like the YAML configuration approach. It looks much cleaner than the
chatty XML file.

We don't have this configuration format anywhere else, however. That
makes three different config formats within Turbine: properties, xml and
yaml. Looks clumsy to me.

Bye, Thomas