Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Helmut Heidegger <h....@phion.com> on 2004/07/15 09:44:22 UTC

svn list problem

Hello all,

I have the following problem:

the command 'svn -R list https://server/svn/dev' does only bring an
error message if I have no access permission to a single directory like
say https://server/svn/dev/trunk/settings
But I want the full list and at https://server/svn/dev/trunk/settings a
message like 'permission denied'. I need this since I call 'svn list'
from sourcenavigator (a tcl/tk ide for c++) and will get nothing if the
user is not allowed to read the whole repository.
Is there another way of getting the list...

Thanks
Heli

Re: svn list problem

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 04:44, Helmut Heidegger wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have the following problem:
>
> the command 'svn -R list https://server/svn/dev' does only bring an
> error message if I have no access permission to a single directory like
> say https://server/svn/dev/trunk/settings
> But I want the full list and at https://server/svn/dev/trunk/settings a
> message like 'permission denied'. I need this since I call 'svn list'
> from sourcenavigator (a tcl/tk ide for c++) and will get nothing if the
> user is not allowed to read the whole repository.
> Is there another way of getting the list...

You could browse the repository in a web browser interactively.

But no, the reason you're getting one error, rather than a partial
listing + error, is because 'svn list -R' isn't streamy.  It tries to
gather all the information in memory at once, then display it all at
once.  There's already a bug filed on that.  :-(