Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de> on 2017/07/15 11:06:27 UTC

8 core CPU not fully active

When TestPDFToImage.java runs on my 1000 PDF test set on my old 4 core
CPU on W7, the CPU is fully used. When I do the same on my new 8 core
CPU (16 threads) on W10, max CPU usage is about 75%.

I did several tests with adding threads or reducing threads. Although
adding threads resulted in better CPU usage, the fastest overall result
on all files was with 14 threads.

Luckily I can still move my mouse, unlike this guy:
https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2017/07/09/24-core-cpu-and-i-cant-move-my-mouse/

Tilman

Re: 8 core CPU not fully active

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Am 15.07.2017 um 13:06 schrieb Tilman Hausherr:
> When TestPDFToImage.java runs on my 1000 PDF test set on my old 4 core CPU on
> W7, the CPU is fully used. When I do the same on my new 8 core CPU (16 threads)
> on W10, max CPU usage is about 75%.
Maybe there is some other bottle neck, I/O or W10 itself?

Andreas

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 15.07.2017 um 13:06 schrieb Tilman Hausherr:
> When TestPDFToImage.java runs on my 1000 PDF test set on my old 4 core
> CPU on W7, the CPU is fully used. When I do the same on my new 8 core
> CPU (16 threads) on W10, max CPU usage is about 75%.
>
> I did several tests with adding threads or reducing threads. Although
> adding threads resulted in better CPU usage, the fastest overall
> result on all files was with 14 threads.

Fixed by PDFBOX-3897. I haven't tested this time what amount of threads
is best, but the CPU usage is now 100% most of the time during the test.

My guess is that there's some synchronization, somebody mentioned this
in PDFBOX-3854 but related to another operation in java graphics.

Tilman