Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@apache.org> on 2015/08/15 20:14:07 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Qpid Proton 0.10 released

The Apache Qpid community is pleased to announce the immediate
availability of Apache Qpid Proton 0.10.

Qpid Proton is an AMQP 1.0 messaging library. It can be used in a wide
range of messaging applications including brokers, clients, routers,
bridges, proxies, and more.

This release incorporates a number of defect fixes and enhancements,
including Python 3 support for for the Python bidings and a new SASL
API and optional cyrus-sasl integration for Proton-C. Release notes
are available at:
    http://qpid.apache.org/releases/qpid-proton-0.10/release-notes.html

The release is available now from our website:
    http://qpid.apache.org/download.html

Proton-J is also available via Maven Central:
    http://qpid.apache.org/maven.html

Thanks to all involved.

Robbie

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Qpid Proton 0.10 released

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael

I take it you mean https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-892

I notice from Alans reply
(http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/qpid-proton/201505.mbox/%3C1432734537.2993.118.camel%40redhat.com%3E)
he suggested some changes to your original mail and asked you to
create the JIRA and assign it to him. I see it isnt assigned to him,
but I don't think you can actually assign JIRAs without specific
project permissions, so that explains that. I imagine he simply
overlooked it as a result; you can @mention folks on JIRAs to get
their attention. I have assigned it to him now.

Robbie

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael

Posted by aconway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On Thu, 2015-08-20 at 10:46 +0300, Michael Ivanov wrote:
> Sorry,
>
> A couple of months ago I discovered a case in proton that prevented
> using more than 32767 nodes in message data. One of our applications
> created large messages and wherever it exceeded this limit it just
> crashed. The data type used to keep number of nodes in proton is
> unsigned short and actually allows to have twice as much number of
> nodes (65535), but because of the way pni_data_grow function is
> implemented the upper half of the complete value range
> (32768...65535)
> can never be used.
>
> To allow our application to run I created a fix and currently use
> custom proton version. I also published the fix on mailing list and
> created a jira issue on it on mr. Alan Conway's advice, but I see
> that version 0.10 still uses the same approach.
>
> Is there any special reason to limit the data size to 32767 nodes?
> It is sad that I have to proceed to use patched version for our
> systems.

Sorry Michael, that is my fault. You posted the fix for this some time
ago and I didn't spot the JIRA till just recently so it didn't make the
0.10 release. It is on master now and will be in the next release, I
believe there will be a 0.10.1 shortly.

https://github.com/apache/qpid-proton/commit/0ca6ba7e261d82ac490ef0ea41
1d7a6e37de4591

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Qpid Proton 0.10 released

Posted by Michael Ivanov <iv...@logit-ag.de>.
Sorry,

A couple of months ago I discovered a case in proton that prevented
using more than 32767 nodes in message data. One of our applications
created large messages and wherever it exceeded this limit it just
crashed. The data type used to keep number of nodes in proton is
unsigned short and actually allows to have twice as much number of
nodes (65535), but because of the way pni_data_grow function is
implemented the upper half of the complete value range (32768...65535)
can never be used.

To allow our application to run I created a fix and currently use
custom proton version. I also published the fix on mailing list and
created a jira issue on it on mr. Alan Conway's advice, but I see
that version 0.10 still uses the same approach.

Is there any special reason to limit the data size to 32767 nodes?
It is sad that I have to proceed to use patched version for our systems.

Best regards,

17.08.2015 23:57, Robbie Gemmell пишет:
> On 17 August 2015 at 21:11, Flavio Percoco <fl...@redhat.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> Outsider question:
>>
>> Is there a reason why 0.10 is used rather than 0.10.0?
>>

> I mainly used 0.10 because it was versioned 0.10-SNAPSHOT beforehand
> and had already gone through initial alpha/betas as 0.10 before I
> started progressing things, so I decided against changing it during
> the cycle (and potentially delaying things further..).
>
>> I believe sticking to 3-digit versions and keep it consistent would
>> make supporting scripts, bindings and even packages easier since they
>> would not have to care about these 2-to-3 digit changes.
>>

> Agreed.
>
>> Is that something we can change in qpid-proton ?
>>

> I'm entirely on board personally with including the extra digit all
> the time (and actually using it to do more regular point releases;
> when I did 0.9.1 that was really the first time any of the components
> have ever had one). I have been using x.y.z format versions for the
> JMS client releases from the start for precisely the reasons you
> covered, so a thumbs up from me.
>
> Robbie

 \   / |			           |
 (OvO) |  Mikhail Iwanow                   |
 (^^^) |      Voice:   +7 (911) 223-1300   |
  \^/  |      E-mail:  ivans@logit-ag.de   |
  ^ ^  |                                   |

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Qpid Proton 0.10 released

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 18 August 2015 at 07:48, Flavio Percoco <fl...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 17/08/15 21:57 +0100, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
>>
>> On 17 August 2015 at 21:11, Flavio Percoco <fl...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>>>
>>> Is that something we can change in qpid-proton ?
>>>

>> I'm entirely on board personally with including the extra digit all
>> the time (and actually using it to do more regular point releases;
>> when I did 0.9.1 that was really the first time any of the components
>> have ever had one). I have been using x.y.z format versions for the
>> JMS client releases from the start for precisely the reasons you
>> covered, so a thumbs up from me.
>

> Sounds great to me. I'd assume it's not "fixable" for 0.10, is it?

No, 0.10 has sailed at this point. We could do a 0.10.1 though.

> If it can be done for 0.10, I'd be happy to see it happening.
> Otherwise, I guess we should just keep it in mind for 0.11.

If enough folks agree we should change to 0.11.0 on master sooner
rather than later, then we can ask infra to clean up the mess we will
have made (again) in the snapshots repo.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Flavio Percoco <fl...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Flavio Percoco <fl...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Michael Ivanov <iv...@logit-ag.de>.
Sorry,

A couple of months ago I discovered a case in proton that prevented
using more than 32767 nodes in message data. One of our applications
created large messages and wherever it exceeded this limit it just
crashed. The data type used to keep number of nodes in proton is
unsigned short and actually allows to have twice as much number of
nodes (65535), but because of the way pni_data_grow function is
implemented the upper half of the complete value range (32768...65535)
can never be used.

To allow our application to run I created a fix and currently use
custom proton version. I also published the fix on mailing list and
created a jira issue on it on mr. Alan Conway's advice, but I see
that version 0.10 still uses the same approach.

Is there any special reason to limit the data size to 32767 nodes?
It is sad that I have to proceed to use patched version for our systems.

Best regards,

17.08.2015 23:57, Robbie Gemmell пишет:
> On 17 August 2015 at 21:11, Flavio Percoco <fl...@redhat.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> Outsider question:
>>
>> Is there a reason why 0.10 is used rather than 0.10.0?
>>

> I mainly used 0.10 because it was versioned 0.10-SNAPSHOT beforehand
> and had already gone through initial alpha/betas as 0.10 before I
> started progressing things, so I decided against changing it during
> the cycle (and potentially delaying things further..).
>
>> I believe sticking to 3-digit versions and keep it consistent would
>> make supporting scripts, bindings and even packages easier since they
>> would not have to care about these 2-to-3 digit changes.
>>

> Agreed.
>
>> Is that something we can change in qpid-proton ?
>>

> I'm entirely on board personally with including the extra digit all
> the time (and actually using it to do more regular point releases;
> when I did 0.9.1 that was really the first time any of the components
> have ever had one). I have been using x.y.z format versions for the
> JMS client releases from the start for precisely the reasons you
> covered, so a thumbs up from me.
>
> Robbie

 \   / |			           |
 (OvO) |  Mikhail Iwanow                   |
 (^^^) |      Voice:   +7 (911) 223-1300   |
  \^/  |      E-mail:  ivans@logit-ag.de   |
  ^ ^  |                                   |

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Qpid Proton 0.10 released

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Flavio Percoco <fl...@redhat.com>.

--
@flaper87
Flavio Percoco

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Qpid Proton 0.10 released

Posted by Flavio Percoco <fl...@redhat.com>.

--
@flaper87
Flavio Percoco

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Qpid Proton 0.10 released

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Yes, its tagged as 0.10.

You may need to fetch the tags explicitly to see it: git fetch --tags

Robbie

Posted by Irina Boverman <ib...@redhat.com>.
Hi Robbie,