Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org> on 2004/06/08 19:54:40 UTC

I'm back for a short stint

At least as a user.

I'm going to have to throw together a "drill-down" way to print reports
for a web-service/database backed system.  I'm going to have to get my
laptop set up with Tomcat and Cocoon.  So much has changed since I last
messed with this.  Note: I have 4-5 days to be finished with the project
(start to finish).  Doesn't leave a lot of time for dilly-dallying.

Since I am coming from a fresh perspective I hope you don't mind if I
post some observations on what I have seen as far as ease of use/
performance/ etc.  I'm pretty excited on one hand, but not so crazy
about my schedule.

                 - Rich Cook

Re: I'm back for a short stint

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> At least as a user.
>
> I'm going to have to throw together a "drill-down" way to print reports
> for a web-service/database backed system.  I'm going to have to get my
> laptop set up with Tomcat and Cocoon.  So much has changed since I last
> messed with this.  Note: I have 4-5 days to be finished with the project
> (start to finish).  Doesn't leave a lot of time for dilly-dallying.
>
> Since I am coming from a fresh perspective I hope you don't mind if I
> post some observations on what I have seen as far as ease of use/
> performance/ etc.  I'm pretty excited on one hand, but not so crazy
> about my schedule.

Welcome back! :)

Ask away, I would love to have the opportunity to actually use Cocoon in a
production site soon.

Tony

Re: I'm back for a short stint

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 08 Jun 2004, at 20:22, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Tim Larson wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 01:54:40PM -0400, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>> At least as a user.
>>>
>>> I'm going to have to throw together a "drill-down" way to print
>>> reports
>>> for a web-service/database backed system.  I'm going to have to get
>>> my
>> I assume you know about the "drill-down" support in xReporter, and
>> that
>> it can create reports either from a database or from xml data fetched
>> from elsewhere, such as from a web-service.
>
> Actually no.  I haven't been actively involved with Cocoon code for
> almost two years no (I can't believe it has been that long....).

http://xreporter.cocoondev.org/ is where you can find all about
xReporter. It consists of a standalone (Phoenix-based) server
application in which you deploy report definitions (using an XML
definition syntax), and which provides a ReST-like access to them (XML
over HTTP using Jetty). Above that, we have a Cocoon application for
selecting, parametrizing  and running web-based reports. Over time, we
have seen quite a few happy users.

HTH,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: I'm back for a short stint

Posted by Tim Larson <ti...@keow.org>.
On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 02:22:17PM -0400, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Tim Larson wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 01:54:40PM -0400, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> >
> >>At least as a user.
> >>
> >>I'm going to have to throw together a "drill-down" way to print reports
> >>for a web-service/database backed system.  I'm going to have to get my
> >

> >I assume you know about the "drill-down" support in xReporter, and that
> >it can create reports either from a database or from xml data fetched
> >from elsewhere, such as from a web-service.
>
> Actually no.  I haven't been actively involved with Cocoon code for
> almost two years no (I can't believe it has been that long....).
>
> Got some pointers?

Sure!

Main site:
http://xreporter.cocoondev.org/index.html
This reporting tool is split in two parts that communicate via HTTP.
The part that does the heavy lifting is an application that runs in
the Phoenix container and does the database access, grouping, etc.
The other part is a presentation layer implemented using Cocoon.

Drill-down:
http://xreporter.cocoondev.org/en/reports.html#Linking+between+reports
This is implemented by linking reports together either on rows or on
cells, and automatically passing the right parameters to the linked
report so it can be based on the row or cell it was linked from.

Reports based on XML data retrieved via HTTP:
http://xreporter.cocoondev.org/en/overview.html#HTTP+data+source
Not much info on this page, but the general idea is you retrieve
some data via HTTP, massage it into a friendly xml format if it
is not already, and then xReporter can take it from there.

Support for using a database for report data is more standardized
(and better documented), but of course with Cocoon you have many
options for manipulating an xml datasource before passing it to
xReporter to produce reports.

Hope this helps,
--Tim Larson

Re: I'm back for a short stint

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Tim Larson wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 01:54:40PM -0400, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>
>>> At least as a user.
>>>
>>> I'm going to have to throw together a "drill-down" way to print reports
>>> for a web-service/database backed system.  I'm going to have to get my
>>

>> I assume you know about the "drill-down" support in xReporter, and that
>> it can create reports either from a database or from xml data fetched
>> from elsewhere, such as from a web-service.
>

> Actually no.  I haven't been actively involved with Cocoon code for
> almost two years no (I can't believe it has been that long....).

Flowscript will probably bake your noodle.

> Got some pointers?

http://xreporter.cocoondev.org/index.html

>>> laptop set up with Tomcat and Cocoon.  So much has changed since I last
>>> messed with this.  Note: I have 4-5 days to be finished with the project
>>> (start to finish).  Doesn't leave a lot of time for dilly-dallying.

FYI, Cocoon comes with a "Jetty-Lite", so once you build Cocoon, you can type
"cocoon.[sh|bat] servlet" and it'll start up on port 8888.  Jetty starts up much
faster than TC4, and TC5 as well, although TC5 is much faster than 4.

Regards,

Tony

Re: I'm back for a short stint

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.
Tim Larson wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 01:54:40PM -0400, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>>At least as a user.
>>
>>I'm going to have to throw together a "drill-down" way to print reports
>>for a web-service/database backed system.  I'm going to have to get my
>

> I assume you know about the "drill-down" support in xReporter, and that
> it can create reports either from a database or from xml data fetched
> from elsewhere, such as from a web-service.

Actually no.  I haven't been actively involved with Cocoon code for
almost two years no (I can't believe it has been that long....).

Got some pointers?

>>laptop set up with Tomcat and Cocoon.  So much has changed since I last
>>messed with this.  Note: I have 4-5 days to be finished with the project
>>(start to finish).  Doesn't leave a lot of time for dilly-dallying.
>>
>>Since I am coming from a fresh perspective I hope you don't mind if I
>>post some observations on what I have seen as far as ease of use/
>>performance/ etc.  I'm pretty excited on one hand, but not so crazy
>>about my schedule.
>

> Hoping this helps you with your short schedule,
> --Tim Larson

                 - Rich Cook

Re: I'm back for a short stint

Posted by Tim Larson <ti...@keow.org>.

Re: I'm back for a short stint

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> At least as a user.
>
> I'm going to have to throw together a "drill-down" way to print reports
> for a web-service/database backed system.  I'm going to have to get my
> laptop set up with Tomcat and Cocoon.  So much has changed since I last
> messed with this.  Note: I have 4-5 days to be finished with the project
> (start to finish).  Doesn't leave a lot of time for dilly-dallying.
>
> Since I am coming from a fresh perspective I hope you don't mind if I
> post some observations on what I have seen as far as ease of use/
> performance/ etc.  I'm pretty excited on one hand, but not so crazy
> about my schedule.

Welcome back, Berin. Don't hesitate to ask or comment!

Sylvain