Posted to users@sling.apache.org by sp...@planet.ms on 2020/09/30 17:34:06 UTC

new Sling feature launcher: how to set port and control port

Hi!

I'm just trying out the latest snapshot of the sling starter (https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-starter), but I do have some trouble. When you use the new Sling feature launcher
https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-feature-launcher
- how do you set the port and control port, as one does with the -j and -p arguments of the Sling launchpad
https://sling.apache.org/documentation/the-sling-engine/the-sling-launchpad.html

And, more importantly - where is that documented?

More generally, it would be very interesting to have the a documentation that lists the equivalents of the old launchpad options with the new launcher. For instance, it's not clear to me how to best stop it now.

Thank you very much,

Hans-Peter

Re: new Sling feature launcher: how to set port and control port

Posted by Andreas Schaefer <sc...@me.com.INVALID>.
Hi Hans-Peter

Have a look at the Sling Kickstart Project 0.0.8: https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-kickstart <https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-kickstart>

Out of the Box the Kickstart will launch Sling with the Sling Starter Configuration available at the date of the release.

Cheers - Andy Schaefer

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
Hello,

On Wed, 2020-09-30 at 19:34 +0200, spiegelyu@planet.ms wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm just trying out the latest snapshot of the sling starter (
> https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-starter), but I do
> have some trouble. When you use the new Sling feature launcher
> https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-feature-launcher
> - how do you set the port and control port, as one does with the -j
> and -p arguments of the Sling launchpad
> https://sling.apache.org/documentation/the-sling-engine/the-sling-launchpad.html
>
> And, more importantly - where is that documented?
>
> More generally, it would be very interesting to have the a
> documentation that lists the equivalents of the old launchpad options
> with the new launcher. For instance, it's not clear to me how to best
> stop it now.

The feature launcher is more bare-bones compared to the launchpad, so
there is no control port. The feature launcher documentation is at [1],
but we plan to have a user-oriented documentation by the time of the
Sling Starter 12 release.

For stopping the application, simply stop the running process using
(for Linux) the `kill` command or pressing CTRL-C on the terminal where
the process was lunached.

For setting the jetty HTTP port, you must pass the following argument
to the process

  -D org.osgi.service.http.port=9090

As Andy mentioned, we have an open item to adding kickstart support
[2], which is a more full-featured launcher .

Hope this helps, and let us know if you have more questions.

Thanks,
Robert

[1]: https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-feature-launcher
[2]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-9635