Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Alexander Lapin <la...@gmail.com> on 2021/03/26 17:27:36 UTC

Terms clarification and modules splitting logic

Igniters,

Seems that within Ignite-3 we have some mess in terms like manager, cpu,
service, module, etc. Let's clarify this point. Also It'll be great to
discuss the rules of dividing code into modules.
I'll use the context of Ignite cluster & node lifecycle
<https://github.com/apache/ignite-3/blob/ignite-14393/modules/runner/README.md>
for terms definition and as an example source.

*Terms clarification.*

   - Component - semantically consistent part of Ignite that in most cases
   will have component-public but ignite-internal API and a lifecycle, somehow
   related to the lifecycle of a node or cluster. So, *structurally*
   TableManager, SchemaManager, AffinityManager, etc are all components. For
   example, TableManager will have methods like createTable(), alterTable(),
   dropTable(), etc and a lifecycle that will create listeners (aka
   DistributedMetastorage watches) on schema and affinity updates in order to
   create/drop raft servers for particular partitions that should be hosted on
   local node). Components are lined up in a graph without cycles, for more
   details please see mentioned above Ignite cluster & node lifecycle.
   <https://github.com/apache/ignite-3/blob/ignite-14393/modules/runner/README.md>
   - Manager is a driving point of a component with high level lifecycle
   logic and API methods. My intention here is to agree about naming: should
   we use the term Manager, Processor or anything else?
   - Service is an entry point to some component/server or a group of
   components/servers. See RaftGroupService.java
   <https://github.com/apache/ignite-3/blob/main/modules/raft-client/src/main/java/org/apache/ignite/raft/client/service/RaftGroupService.java>
   as an example.
   - Server, for example RaftServer, seems to be self-explanatory itself.

*Dividing code into modules.*
It seems useful to introduce a restriction that a module should contain at
most one component. So that, combining component-specific modules and ones
of api, lang, etc we will end up with something like following:

   - affinity // TO be created.
   - api [public]
   - baseline // TO be created.
   - bytecode
   - cli
   - cli-common
   - configuration
   - configuration-annotation-processor
   - core // Module with classes like IgniteUuid. Should we raname it to
   lang/utils/commons?
   - metastorage-client // To be created.
   - metastorage-common // To be created.
   - metastorage-server // TO be created.
   - network
   - raft // raft-server?
   - raft-client
   - rest
   - runner
   - schema
   - table // Seems that there might be a conflict between the meaning of
   table module that we already have and table module with create/dropTable()
   - vault

Also it's not quite clear to me how we should split lang and util classes
some of which belong to the public api, and some to the private.

Please share your thoughts about topics mentioned above.

Best regards,
Alexander

Re: Terms clarification and modules splitting logic

Posted by Alexei Scherbakov <al...@gmail.com>.
Alexey,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Ok, let's agree on having the internal package. I've created the ticket [1]
to unify it's usage within the project.

--

Best regards,
Alexei Scherbakov

Re: Terms clarification and modules splitting logic

Posted by Alexey Goncharuk <al...@gmail.com>.
Alexei,

Posted by Alexei Scherbakov <al...@gmail.com>.
Alexey,

--

Best regards,
Alexei Scherbakov

Re: Terms clarification and modules splitting logic

Posted by Alexey Goncharuk <al...@gmail.com>.

ср, 31 мар. 2021 г. в 14:27, Alexei Scherbakov <alexey.scherbakoff@gmail.com

Posted by Alexei Scherbakov <al...@gmail.com>.
Alexey,

--

Best regards,
Alexei Scherbakov

Re: Terms clarification and modules splitting logic

Posted by Alexey Goncharuk <al...@gmail.com>.
Alexei,

вт, 30 мар. 2021 г. в 18:37, Alexei Scherbakov <alexey.scherbakoff@gmail.com

Posted by Alexei Scherbakov <al...@gmail.com>.

--

Best regards,
Alexei Scherbakov

Re: Terms clarification and modules splitting logic

Posted by Andrey Mashenkov <an...@gmail.com>.

--
Best regards,
Andrey V. Mashenkov

Re: Terms clarification and modules splitting logic

Posted by Alexey Goncharuk <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello Alexander, Igniters,