Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Alejandro Calbazana <ac...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/21 12:37:11 UTC

Guidance on Transcoding Large Images

Hello,

I am looking for a little guidance on transcoding large images.  I have a
process that produces large images (using ILog JViews) that I'd like to
ultimately have deliver to a web user.  The first pass through was to
produce a JPEG, but memory is constraint and loading up a bufferedimage
triggers an OOM exception and now I am looking for an alternative.  Here
are some things I've considered:

1. Produce a large SVG and slice it so that it produces smaller
PNGs/JPEGs.  I am not sure if batik supports this or not.  I do not know if
it is as simple as adjusting the viewport and then rendering?
2. Produce a large SVG and transcode it to TIFF.  I see there is a
TiledImageTranscoder in the contrib, and I was able to get it to produce a
TIFF, but image quality was terrible.  Maybe there is a hint that I am
missing?
3. Produce a large SVG and transcode it to another image format for
slicing.  Tried this and it looks like the transcoder for PNG and JPEG use
a buffered image.

Does anyone have any experience with such a problem?  I have very little
control over how much heap I can give my process as it runs in a shared
environment along with two other web apps.  I have plenty of storage
though, so if there is a streaming style of transcoding where parts of an
image source are read and then written in chunks, that would be ideal.  But
considering how JPEG and SVG work, I don't think that's even an option.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Al