Posted to mirrors@apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com> on 1997/06/13 11:03:43 UTC

one last thing

Another thing we did was rename "Old" to "old" in the /dist directory,
so that the source code came up first in a directory listing of /dist,
as we noticed an unusual number of people getting old versions of the
software when *everyone* should be getting 1.2.0.

This had the consequence of causing mirrors to think it was a brand
new directory, and with 26 megabytes worth of new data.  Eek!  So if
you get a warning message from your "mirror" program that a big
directory just disappeared, don't worry, that's fine.

	Brian

Re: one last thing

Posted by Ira Abramov <ir...@scso.com>.
On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Another thing we did was rename "Old" to "old" in the /dist directory,

> This had the consequence of causing mirrors to think it was a brand
> new directory, and with 26 megabytes worth of new data.  Eek!  So if
> you get a warning message from your "mirror" program that a big
> directory just disappeared, don't worry, that's fine.

ouuuuch... please inform people next time. RedHat did it the other day,
moving the entire "devel" into "current" when the new version was
announced. a few hundred mirrors around the world had to re-download over
a gig of software JUST when all the users wanted to access ftp.redhat.com
too. ONE simple Email a day in advance would have changed a lot of things,
and many admins would have used a simple "mv" to save the bandwidth...

   Ira Abramov          <ir...@scso.com>        Scalable Solutions
   POBox 3600, Jerusalem 91035, Israel       Tel (972)2-642-6822
   http://www.scso.com/~ira   Check out: http://www.linux.org.il