Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dan Trainor <da...@cavecreek.net> on 2003/12/27 05:25:46 UTC

[users@httpd] Max number of files in a dir that Apache traverses?

'evening, all.

Anyone know if Apache is known to not work properly if it encounters a
dir with an exceptional amount of files in the dir?  I'm working with
~18,500 files in a single dir.  Apache presents a page almost like a
Directoryindex page, but with no files.  There's an .htaccess only
holding an ErrorDocument 404 directive, but other than that, nothing
else.

Nothing appears in ErrorLog, but oddly enough, access log does not get
written to.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
-dant

Re: [users@httpd] Max number of files in a dir that Apache traverses?

Posted by Cliff Pennock <ap...@pennock.nl>.
Dan Trainor wrote:

>Anyone know if Apache is known to not work properly if it encounters
>a dir with an exceptional amount of files in the dir?  I'm working with
>~18,500 files in a single dir.  Apache presents a page almost like a
>Directoryindex page, but with no files.  There's an .htaccess only
>holding an ErrorDocument 404 directive, but other than that, nothing
>else.
>
>Nothing appears in ErrorLog, but oddly enough, access log does not get
>written to.

It does work (I have directories with over 30,000 files and it works
without a problem), but it takes a *very* long time to handle, even on
fast machines. Chances are the connection times out before it is done
building the page. For testing only, try setting the time-out value to
something very high (like 1200 or so) in your httpd.conf and try again.

Re: [users@httpd] Max number of files in a dir that Apache traverses?

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Dan Trainor wrote:
> Anyone know if Apache is known to not work properly if it encounters
> a dir with an exceptional amount of files in the dir?  I'm working with
> ~18,500 files in a single dir.  Apache presents a page almost like a
> Directoryindex page, but with no files.  There's an .htaccess only
> holding an ErrorDocument 404 directive, but other than that, nothing
> else.
>
> Nothing appears in ErrorLog, but oddly enough, access log does not get
> written to.

An explaination might be that the child serving the request dies, for
whatever reason, while generating the directory index. This would explain
the "Directoryindex page, but with no files" (do check the page source,
though) and why there is no log entry.

Could you check if you can find a threshold for the number of files where it
stops working? As the Indexes feature is so simple, you might be better of
generating your own listing with a PHP or Perl script, at least as a
temporary workaround.

Regards,
Robert Andersson