Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2012/10/23 23:10:31 UTC

Call for papers: ApacheCon North America, Portland, Feb 2013

We are busy talking about other conferences at the moment (both in
Europe: ApacheCon Europe in Sinsheim in two weeks and FOSDEM in Brussels
in February 2013) but especially those who live in the US may be pleased
to know that the website of the next ApacheCon North America is online:
http://na.apachecon.com/

The conference will take place in Portland, Oregon, USA, 26-28 Feb 2013.

The Call for Papers is already open and will stay open until 12 Nov 2012
(extended with respect to what you see on the website). So, especially
those living in the USA, please go and post your talk proposals now!

I expect discussions on this list to focus mostly on ApacheCon Europe in
the next two weeks, but when that is over we still have a few days to
discuss and solicit proposals for Portland 2013.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Call for papers: ApacheCon North America, Portland, Feb 2013

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 23/10/2012 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>
>> especially those who live in the US may be pleased
>> to know that the website of the next ApacheCon North America is online:
>> http://na.apachecon.com/
>> The conference will take place in Portland, Oregon, USA, 26-28 Feb 2013.
>> The Call for Papers is already open and will stay open until 12 Nov 2012
>>

> If anybody missed this: the deadline for submitting talks is 11 Nov (so in
> 3 days; and I was mistaken in writing 12 Nov, apparently it's closing one
> day earlier).
>
> North-American community members, please do submit a talk (if someone
> needs an incentive: having a talk accepted will save you the 1300 USD
> admission fee). Others are welcome too, of course.
>
> I won't attend ApacheCon NA or submit a talk, for a few reasons:
>
> 1) Time. ApacheCon is amazing, but I can't take another week off from my,
> totally unrelated, job to attend the US edition too. (I also prefer to
> spend my money in different ways, but time is the main issue).

Totally understandable. Committing to participate and present at a
conference is a significant investment in time and energy. Thank you for
help make the Apache OpenOffice track at ACE a success!

> 2) Overlapping events. In the first weekend of that month (February 2013)
> we will already have FOSDEM in Brussels, which I will very likely attend.

Good prioritization. Your leadership and commdev skills will be most needed
at FOSDEM.

> 3) Conference spirit. ApacheCon US seems a business-oriented conference,
> while ApacheCon EU is the "community edition". We have plenty of project
> members, especially in North America, who will feel perfectly at home in a
> business-oriented conference, while the "community edition" is just fine
> for me.

Well, it's still a developer-to-developer conference. The 'business' side
is more reflected by the professionalism of the event producer, The
OpenBastion Group. Steve Holden did an awful lot to pull ACE back from the
brink of chaos, but in the end ACE was still mostly driven by community
volunteers.

> I might be wrong about item 3, but a lot of people on this list have
> probably attended both ApacheCon NA and ApacheCon EU and can explain the
> difference better than I can

I attended ACNA in Vancouver last November, yes. As I said above, it is
still a developer event, there were very few business folks there. You
could say that the corporate sponsorships may be more evident, but I think
ACE picked up quite a few in the closing weeks as well, so I'm not sure
that it's much different in terms of corporate business support.

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.
On 2012/11/08 19:19, Andrea Pescetti said:
> On 23/10/2012 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> especially those who live in the US may be pleased
>> to know that the website of the next ApacheCon North America is online:
>> http://na.apachecon.com/
>> The conference will take place in Portland, Oregon, USA, 26-28 Feb 2013.
>> The Call for Papers is already open and will stay open until 12 Nov 2012
>
> If anybody missed this: the deadline for submitting talks is 11 Nov (so
> in 3 days; and I was mistaken in writing 12 Nov, apparently it's closing
> one day earlier).
>
> North-American community members, please do submit a talk (if someone
> needs an incentive: having a talk accepted will save you the 1300 USD
> admission fee). Others are welcome too, of course.
>
> I won't attend ApacheCon NA or submit a talk, for a few reasons:

    I may not attend to ApacheCon NA 2013, too.  Although I would love
to meet more of our OpenOffice US community in person, my school project
is really tight.  I would have a serious problem if you see me in
ApacheCon NA 2013. :p

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>

OpenOffice http://www.openoffice.org/
Greenfoot Taiwan http://greenfoot.westart.tw/

Re: Call for papers: ApacheCon North America, Portland, Feb 2013

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.
On 11/14/2012 6:13 AM, Donald Harbison wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>wrote:
>
>> We are busy talking about other conferences at the moment (both in Europe:
>> ApacheCon Europe in Sinsheim in two weeks and FOSDEM in Brussels in
>> February 2013) but especially those who live in the US may be pleased to
>> know that the website of the next ApacheCon North America is online:
>> http://na.apachecon.com/
>>
>> The conference will take place in Portland, Oregon, USA, 26-28 Feb 2013.
>>
>> The Call for Papers is already open and will stay open until 12 Nov 2012
>> (extended with respect to what you see on the website). So, especially
>> those living in the USA, please go and post your talk proposals now!
>>

> I have confirmed that it is still possible to submit your proposal despite
> the deadline having passed. The conference producer, The Open Bastion
> Group, led by Steve Holden, will issue an email calling for Reviewers. I
> plan to volunteer to do this as I had done for ACEU. I've also submitted
> proposals for two talks. [1]  Since I do not have Admin privs for the CFP
> system (yet) I cannot determine if anyone else in our community went ahead
> and submitted a proposal for a talk.

Let me know if I can help with reviewing as well.

Peter

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 11/13/2012 02:13 PM, Donald Harbison wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>wrote:
>
>> We are busy talking about other conferences at the moment (both in Europe:
>> ApacheCon Europe in Sinsheim in two weeks and FOSDEM in Brussels in
>> February 2013) but especially those who live in the US may be pleased to
>> know that the website of the next ApacheCon North America is online:
>> http://na.apachecon.com/
>>
>> The conference will take place in Portland, Oregon, USA, 26-28 Feb 2013.
>>
>> The Call for Papers is already open and will stay open until 12 Nov 2012
>> (extended with respect to what you see on the website). So, especially
>> those living in the USA, please go and post your talk proposals now!
>>

> I have confirmed that it is still possible to submit your proposal despite
> the deadline having passed. The conference producer, The Open Bastion
> Group, led by Steve Holden, will issue an email calling for Reviewers. I
> plan to volunteer to do this as I had done for ACEU. I've also submitted
> proposals for two talks. [1]  Since I do not have Admin privs for the CFP
> system (yet) I cannot determine if anyone else in our community went ahead
> and submitted a proposal for a talk.
>
> If you have submitted  a proposal please update the wiki! thx...
> [1] http://s.apache.org/thv

I submitted a talk and will update this wiki page. This being said, mine
also focuses more on, well, community/administrative type areas, so
maybe too much on  this kind of topic given what you have here.

Really, since this is my first attendance at an ApacheCon, I intended to
just kind of "scope" things out, so I will not be *at all* disappointed
if my talk gets turned down. Really! :} It is very difficult for me to
judge what people might find interesting or bore them to tears. 'Nuff said.

> I expect discussions on this list to focus mostly on ApacheCon Europe in
>> the next two weeks, but when that is over we still have a few days to
>> discuss and solicit proposals for Portland 2013.
>>
>> Regards,
>>    Andrea.

MzK

“How wrong is it for a woman to expect the man to build the world
  she wants, rather than to create it herself?”
                                         -- Anais Nin

Re: Call for papers: ApacheCon North America, Portland, Feb 2013

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hi Andrea;

I should mention that those of us that applied for TAC assistance from
the ASF for Sinsheim are not eligible for assistance for Portland.

This is a general ASF rule, I have no idea if the PMC can/will override
this with available funding but it may lead to somewhat reduced presence
in the US event.

Pedro.