Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> on 2001/11/03 06:36:57 UTC

Why didn't this build get ra_local as well as ra_dav?

Hmmm, something weird just happened on my home Debian box...

I have Berkeley in /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3, and I configured
Subversion like this:

   ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode                      \
               --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs       \
               --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3

I'll spare you most of the configure spew, but suffice it to say that
it found Berkeley just fine:

   [...]
   checking for Berkeley DB in /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3... yes
   [...]

Yet when I built, I got an svn binary for only ra_dav, no ra_local:

   floss$ make
      [... successful build, no errors ...]
   floss$ subversion/clients/cmdline/svn --version
   Subversion Client, version M5
      compiled Nov  2 2001, 23:04:30

   Copyright (C) 2000-2001 CollabNet.
   Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/

   The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

   * ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV)
     protocol.
     - handles 'http' schema

   floss$

(Confirmed this when I tried to do a checkout from a "file:///"
repository, and it complained that it didn't know how to handle that
URL scheme!)

I have a memory of this happening to others before, and there being
some obvious explanation for it, but now I can't remember what.  Does
anyone know?

This was with bleeding edge svn, rev 387, the only changes not in my
tree were Greg's recent commits to the swig bindings area:

   floss$ svn st -u
   _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings
   _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings/README
   _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings/apr.i
   _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings/svn_client.i
   _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings/svn_delta.i
   _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings/svn_error.i
   _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings/svn_fs.i
   _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings/svn_io.i
   _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings/svn_ra.i
   _      *         -    ./subversion/bindings/svn_repos.i
   _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings/svn_string.i
   _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings/svn_types.i
   _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings/svn_wc.i
   _      *         -    ./subversion/bindings/util.i
   Head revision:    390
   floss$

?,
-K

Re: Why didn't this build get ra_local as well as ra_dav?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 12:36:57AM -0600, Karl Fogel wrote:
> I have a memory of this happening to others before, and there being
> some obvious explanation for it, but now I can't remember what.  Does
> anyone know?

It could happen if libsvn_ra_local.so could not be found and loaded. Did you
install it? Try running ldd on it to see if something is wonky.

Worst case, there are some debug bits in libsvn_ra/ra_loader.c that you
could enable to look for errors.

[ we really need some kind of long-term answer to a switch to see those
  errors... ]

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Why didn't this build get ra_local as well as ra_dav?

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.
Wierd.  I just tested with subversion-r387 and have:

[david@dsum subversion]$ svn --version
Subversion Client, version M5
   compiled Nov  2 2001, 19:36:48

Copyright (C) 2000-2001 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV) protocol.
  - handles 'http' schema
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' schema

  - David Summers

On Sat, 3 Nov 2001, Karl Fogel wrote:

> Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 00:36:57 -0600 (CST)
> From: Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>
> To: "dev@subversion.tigris.org" <de...@subversion.tigris.org>
> Subject: Why didn't this build get ra_local as well as ra_dav?
>
> Hmmm, something weird just happened on my home Debian box...
>
> I have Berkeley in /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3, and I configured
> Subversion like this:
>
>    ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode                      \
>                --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs       \
>                --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3
>
> I'll spare you most of the configure spew, but suffice it to say that
> it found Berkeley just fine:
>
>    [...]
>    checking for Berkeley DB in /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3... yes
>    [...]
>
> Yet when I built, I got an svn binary for only ra_dav, no ra_local:
>
>    floss$ make
>       [... successful build, no errors ...]
>    floss$ subversion/clients/cmdline/svn --version
>    Subversion Client, version M5
>       compiled Nov  2 2001, 23:04:30
>
>    Copyright (C) 2000-2001 CollabNet.
>    Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
>
>    The following repository access (RA) modules are available:
>
>    * ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV)
>      protocol.
>      - handles 'http' schema
>
>    floss$
>
> (Confirmed this when I tried to do a checkout from a "file:///"
> repository, and it complained that it didn't know how to handle that
> URL scheme!)
>
> I have a memory of this happening to others before, and there being
> some obvious explanation for it, but now I can't remember what.  Does
> anyone know?
>
> This was with bleeding edge svn, rev 387, the only changes not in my
> tree were Greg's recent commits to the swig bindings area:
>
>    floss$ svn st -u
>    _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings
>    _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings/README
>    _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings/apr.i
>    _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings/svn_client.i
>    _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings/svn_delta.i
>    _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings/svn_error.i
>    _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings/svn_fs.i
>    _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings/svn_io.i
>    _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings/svn_ra.i
>    _      *         -    ./subversion/bindings/svn_repos.i
>    _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings/svn_string.i
>    _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings/svn_types.i
>    _      *       387    ./subversion/bindings/svn_wc.i
>    _      *         -    ./subversion/bindings/util.i
>    Head revision:    390
>    floss$
>
> ?,
> -K

David Wayne Summers          "Linux: Because reboots are for upgrades!"
david@summersoft.fay.ar.us   PGP Key: http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/~david/pgp.txt
PGP Key fingerprint =  C0 E0 4F 50 DD A9 B6 2B  60 A1 31 7E D2 28 6D A8