Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Simon Dassow <ja...@area319.de> on 2003/04/05 21:38:04 UTC

[users@httpd] perchild / mod_cgid

Hi all,
i'm trying to get apache2.0.45 running with the perchild MPM, the
problem at the moment is the config of mod_cgid.

I've put `ScriptSock /path/to/vhost/cgisock' into the corrispondending
vhost section, but when i try to access a cgi-script i get:

Service Temporarily Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to
maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Apache/2.0.45 (Unix) DAV/2 Server at d.area Port 80

So what i missong or wrong? Something i've overseen or so?

Thanks in advance,
simon

Re: [users@httpd] perchild / mod_cgid

Posted by Chris Meadors <cl...@hereintown.net>.
Simon Dassow wrote:

> Currently i'm using the nearly the same... but i've written a patch for
> suexec, so i can use a globally installed php-cgi-binary instead of
> copying for each vhost.
> If you're interessted:
> http://janus.errornet.de/files/patches/apache2/apache2.0.44-php-4.3.0-cgi-suexec.diff
> It works with newer versions of php and apache2.0.45 of course.

Actually I'm using the binfmt_misc method, it lets me have a global php
binary without any patches.  Just needs a ExecCGI for the public html
directory for any host wanting PHP.  And the PHP scripts need the
execute bit set.  Seems to work well enough.

--
Chris

Re: [users@httpd] perchild / mod_cgid

Posted by Simon Dassow <ja...@area319.de>.
On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 22:24, Chris Meadors wrote:
> Simon Dassow wrote:
>
> > Sh*t, that's the same problem i now get since five releases of
> > apache2... boring!
> > If someone else succeeds with apache2 and the perchild MPM, MAIL IT TO
> > THE LIST :)
> > The bug is still listed on bugzilla, *sneef* maybe the next version?
>
> Oh, you've been at this longer than I, I've only seen the problem in the
> last 4 releases, didn't try before that.  :P
>
> 2.0.45 was the last "next release" for me.  I'm just going with SuExec,
> and PHP as cgi.
>
> I can see things being a great deal more secure with the perchild MPM,
> but I can't wait any longer.  SuExec is tested and works well.  But
> still there is the problem that the directories to be served still have
> to be globally readable.

Currently i'm using the nearly the same... but i've written a patch for
suexec, so i can use a globally installed php-cgi-binary instead of
copying for each vhost.
If you're interessted:
http://janus.errornet.de/files/patches/apache2/apache2.0.44-php-4.3.0-cgi-suexec.diff
It works with newer versions of php and apache2.0.45 of course.

Regards,

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sat, 5 Apr 2003, Chris Meadors wrote:

> Simon Dassow wrote:
>
> > Sh*t, that's the same problem i now get since five releases of
> > apache2... boring!
> > If someone else succeeds with apache2 and the perchild MPM, MAIL IT TO
> > THE LIST :)
> > The bug is still listed on bugzilla, *sneef* maybe the next version?
>
> Oh, you've been at this longer than I, I've only seen the problem in the
> last 4 releases, didn't try before that.  :P
>
> 2.0.45 was the last "next release" for me.  I'm just going with SuExec,
> and PHP as cgi.

Good move.  Nobody is actively working on the perchild mpm, so you
shouldn't expect it to get fixed any time soon unless you want to work on
it.  Contributions are always welcome.

There is, however, a group of people working on somthing called mpmmux or
something like that, which is intended as a working replacement for
perchild.  This is still under development and I don't know its status.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] perchild / mod_cgid

Posted by Chris Meadors <cl...@hereintown.net>.

Posted by Simon Dassow <ja...@area319.de>.
On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 22:08, Chris Meadors wrote:
> You'll probally have more trouble than that.  I worked around this
> problem, by configuring with '--disable-cgid' '--enable-cgi', that got
> CGI working with the perchild MPM.
Hm, ok, that'll work too.

Posted by Chris Meadors <cl...@hereintown.net>.
Simon Dassow wrote:
> Hi all,
> i'm trying to get apache2.0.45 running with the perchild MPM, the
> problem at the moment is the config of mod_cgid.
>
> I've put `ScriptSock /path/to/vhost/cgisock' into the corrispondending
> vhost section, but when i try to access a cgi-script i get:
>
> Service Temporarily Unavailable
> The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to
> maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

You'll probally have more trouble than that.  I worked around this
problem, by configuring with '--disable-cgid' '--enable-cgi', that got
CGI working with the perchild MPM.  Though I still have problems with