Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org> on 2004/10/23 19:43:20 UTC

JCR and Slide - where is the connection ?

Hi,

sorry for my silly question, but as far as I know JackRabbit is a
successor of the JCR reference impl. which was part of the Slide source
repo. Once I thought the JCR ref. impl. uses Slide somehow, but I can't
see any code dependencies. I have to admit, I do not know the code in
detail up to now.

The interesting for me would be the developers point of view re
JackRabbit and Slide. What is the story here?

Thanks in advance.

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: JCR and Slide - where is the connection ?

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 19:43:20 +0200, Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry for my silly question, but as far as I know JackRabbit is a
> successor of the JCR reference impl. which was part of the Slide source
> repo.

correct.

> Once I thought the JCR ref. impl. uses Slide somehow, but I can't
> see any code dependencies.

there are no dependencies on slide. at the beginning there
was an experimental persistence plugin that used the webdavclientlib
to store the data on a webdav server rather than in the local file system.
but as this architecture/performance wise didn't make any sense
i removed it a while ago.

> I have to admit, I do not know the code in detail up to now.
>
> The interesting for me would be the developers point of view re
> JackRabbit and Slide. What is the story here?

the jcr ri started life as a proposal in the slide cvs. the idea was
that slide could become *the* reference implementation of the
jcr api (comparable to tomcat being the reference implementation
of the servlet api).

the proposal never attracted serious interest from within the
slide community. you can find more information on this subject
in the mail archive of the slide-dev list, eg. in this thread:
http://www.mail-archive.com/slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg11190.html

the rational for moving the code to incubator can be found here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg11245.html

cheers
stefan