Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu> on 2008/06/07 05:22:57 UTC

The path to 1.5.0-final: A note from the release manager

Hi all.

It's been a few of days since the release of RC 9, and although there
have a been a couple of documentation updates, I haven't yet heard any
frantic calls to roll another release candidate.  I'm hesitant to claim
victory, but I am optimistic about the possibility of releasing
1.5.0-final sometime next week.

Pending no objections, I will cut the final tarball from 1.5.x@HEAD on
Tuesday evening, PDT.  We haven't merged any code changes to 1.5.x since
RC 9, so testing the final tarball should be straightforward.  Due to
personal reasons (see below), I'd like to have signatures for 1.5.0 by
Wednesday evening, so we can publish the release on Thursday, June 12.
Given our speed in signing the last couple of release candidates, I
don't think this is unreasonable.

I'm going to be out of contact from next Thursday afternoon to the
following Monday afternoon.  Should there be some catastrophic bug found
during the first couple days of the release, I would appreciate a
volunteer to help us negotiate an emergency point release.  This is only
a precaution, but decreasing the bus factor is always a Good Thing.  The
release process is documented on the web, but I can send more detailed
instructions next week to the unfortunate volunteer. :)

On a personal note, I'd like to thank everyone who has worked hard to
get us to this point.  I know this release process has been a bit longer
than most (heck, it's *my* first 1.y release as a developer).  We
branched 1.5.x over 4 months ago, and we've suffered through 2 alphas, 1
beta, 9 release candidates and a grumpy release manager. :)  I hope this
isn't premature, but thanks to all the users, developers and testers for
all the hard work.

So sometime this weekend, give RC 9 a final spin to check for any
remaining showstoppers, and get your testing environments ready for
1.5.0-final!

-Hyrum

Re: The path to 1.5.0-final: A note from the release manager

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
"Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu> writes:
> Pending no objections, I will cut the final tarball from 1.5.x@HEAD on
> Tuesday evening, PDT.  We haven't merged any code changes to 1.5.x
> since RC 9, so testing the final tarball should be straightforward.
> Due to personal reasons (see below), I'd like to have signatures for
> 1.5.0 by Wednesday evening, so we can publish the release on Thursday,
> June 12. Given our speed in signing the last couple of release
> candidates, I don't think this is unreasonable.

Works here; I'll save time Wednesday for testing and signing.

> I'm going to be out of contact from next Thursday afternoon to the
> following Monday afternoon.  Should there be some catastrophic bug
> found during the first couple days of the release, I would appreciate
> a volunteer to help us negotiate an emergency point release.  This is
> only a precaution, but decreasing the bus factor is always a Good
> Thing.  The release process is documented on the web, but I can send
> more detailed instructions next week to the unfortunate volunteer. :)

I'll be on airplanes some of that time, so I'd be a bad volunteer, but
if no one else can do it, I'm willing to be "on duty".

> On a personal note, I'd like to thank everyone who has worked hard to
> get us to this point.  I know this release process has been a bit
> longer than most (heck, it's *my* first 1.y release as a developer).
> We branched 1.5.x over 4 months ago, and we've suffered through 2
> alphas, 1 beta, 9 release candidates and a grumpy release manager. :)
> I hope this isn't premature, but thanks to all the users, developers
> and testers for all the hard work.

Agreed, but no one deserves more thanks than you!

-Karl