Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by jleleu <le...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/01 14:43:54 UTC

Complete CAS remember-me support

Hi Les,

I was preparing a demo on CAS support for Shiro :
https://github.com/leleuj/cas-shiro-demo and I did realize the remember-me
feature is not fully addressed.

One use case is missing : if the user is already remembered (by CAS) and
want to be authenticated, it should be redirected to CAS server with a
specific parameter (renew=true) to force CAS re-authentication.
For this use case, I created a CasAuthenticatedUserFilter which checks if
the user is authenticated (not remembered) and sends him to the CAS server
if he's not (with the specific parameter to force re-authentication if he's
already remembered).

I created a JIRA SHIRO-373 and attached the SVN patch.

I'm waiting for your feedback.

Thanks.
Best regards,
Jérôme

Re: Complete CAS remember-me support

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 11:04 AM, jleleu <le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for making things clear. As I saw the same source code in buji-cas as
> in shiro-cas, I was a bit confused on the strategy.

This was unfortunate.  I think Jason automatically put *all* support
modules in buji 'just in case'.  Things that are currently in Shiro's
support modules will stay in Shiro's support modules until the dev
team discusses otherwise.

> So here is my official proposal / request to Shiro's dev team :
> - can we remove CAS support from Shiro core and move it into buji-cas ?
> - can I get the lead on the buji-cas extension (meaning commit access on
> buji-cas) as I know both CAS and Shiro and as I'm willing to maintain and
> improve this extension ?

I don't know that it makes sense to move CAS just yet.  Let's get some
open discussion on this first.

Thanks again for the feedback - this is helpful!

Best,

--
Les Hazlewood | @lhazlewood
CTO, Stormpath | http://stormpath.com | @goStormpath | 888.391.5282

Re: Complete CAS remember-me support

Posted by jleleu <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for making things clear. As I saw the same source code in buji-cas as
in shiro-cas, I was a bit confused on the strategy.

>From my point of view, it's hard for the Shiro's dev team to maintain and
follow my requests about CAS support. Today, I'm asking for updating
remember-me (SHIRO-373) and it's not an easy topic, but tomorrow I'm pretty
sure I will need to address auto-login, proxy mode... Working on CAS support
for Shiro requires to know both CAS and Shiro.

Posted by Jared Bunting <ja...@peachjean.com>.
Thanks for the explanation Les.  I must have missed the other thread.
Anyways, I like the idea.

-Jared

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jared Bunting <ja...@peachjean.com>.
Yeah, I see this buji project and am curious about the intention there as
well.  I can see the argument for not including oauth client support in
shiro, but I don't see the same thing being applicable with CAS.  I'll have
a look at your patch today, just been a bit busy this summer.

-Jared

Posted by jleleu <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jared,

You should ask Les about this. He's leading Shiro, I'm just trying to
help...

During six months, I proposed to add OAuth client support to Shiro without
success. Then, thanks to Jason, we created buji-oauth as a Shiro extension :
https://github.com/bujiio/buji-oauth.

If you look at bujiio : https://github.com/bujiio, you will find many other
extensions : buji-cas, buji-guice, buji-openid... with the same source code
(except pom.xml) as you can find on SVN.

So that's why I think CAS support could be removed from Shiro core and put
into buji-cas extension, to ease lifecycle, additions of new features
(github vs SVN)...

And as this buji-cas extension is not finished, I'm just trying / proposing
to help on this : I feel concerned because I proposed this CAS support and I

Posted by Jared Bunting <ja...@peachjean.com>.
Why would we remove CAS support from shiro proper?

-Jared

Posted by jleleu <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I don't know if you have been able to take a look at this also.

Maybe It could help if I moved my public CAS demo from github to samples in
Shiro...

Best regards,
Jérôme