Posted to dev@milagro.apache.org by John McCane-Whitney <jo...@qredo.com> on 2019/09/12 15:45:02 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Milagro (incubating) Decentralized Trust Authority v0.1.0 (alpha release)

Hi,

This is a call to vote on the first (alpha) ASF release  of the Apache Milagro (incubating) Decentralized Trust Authority v0.1.0 tag from the following repository:

Milagro Decentralized Trust Authority (D-TA):
https://github.com/apache/incubator-milagro-dta/releases/tag/0.1.0
Please see the release notes at the above link for a full description and release rationale.

DESCRIPTION SUMMARY:
The Apache Milagro (Incubating) Decentralized Trust Authority (D-TA) is a collaborative key management server. It has two primary functions.

-Issue shares of identity-based Type-3 pairing secrets for initializing zero-knowledge proof multi-factor authentication (ZKP-MFA) networks of clients and authentication servers.
-Safeguards shares of generic secrets, acting independently but in conjunction with other D-TA nodes, for the benefit of other D-TA nodes.

In the use case where it issues shares, the D-TA holds nothing except for its Master Secret and acts as a distributed private key generation server. In the use case where it is safeguarding shares of secrets, it is up to the application developer to implement back-end application logic to hold those shares securely. Examples include using Hardware Security Modules (HSMs) via an on-board PKCS#11 implementation to create a realm of key encryption keys, or multi-party computation through BLS signature aggregation.

RELEASE RATIONALE SUMMARY:
By default, the D-TA allows requests from a Principal's D-TA for an secp256k1 public key from a Fiduciary D-TA and then to subsequently allow the Principal to request its corresponding private key. Whilst this may have utility on its own, the Milagro community's intention is to extend the capability of the server over time to meet many key generation, key storage and distribution use cases. This will be achieved using the D-TA's plugin architecture, and to this end, the initial release includes two plugins to demonstrate the D-TA's extensibility.

Subsequent releases will enable the D-TA to issue Type-3 pairing/identity based secrets for "M-Pin" clients and servers ("M-Pin" is a zero-knowledge authentication protocol in the milagro-crypto-c library that also facilitates multi-factor authentication). In parallel with this will be a rewritten release of the Milagro MFA Authentication server (the original authentication server was conflated with the D-TA function limiting its security efficacy).
The Milagro community is publishing this release now to elicit feedback from a wider community that may have interest in an open source, decentralized key generation, storage and distribution solution. Our intention is to then to release a series of enhanced versions culminating with a production-ready GA version.

Please see the README for build/test instructions and https://milagro.apache.org/docs/d-ta-overview for a full overview and usage guide.

RELEASE FILES:
The repo has the required DISCLAIMER, NOTICE and LICENSE file in its root directory.  All source files have the appropriate license header.  No binaries are included in this release.

I have successfully built and ran the tests as per the instructions in the readme file on Ubuntu 18, Ubuntu 19, Debian 10 and MacOS 10.14 Mojave.

Release links:
Source code archive: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/milagro/apache-milagro-dta-0.1.0-incubating/apache-milagro-dta-0.1.0-incubating-src.tar.gz
SHA512 checksum: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/milagro/apache-milagro-dta-0.1.0-incubating/apache-milagro-dta-0.1.0-incubating-src.tar.gz.asc
PGP Signature: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/milagro/apache-milagro-dta-0.1.0-incubating/apache-milagro-dta-0.1.0-incubating-src.tar.gz.sha512
Keys: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/milagro/KEYS

VOTING:
This round of voting will remain open for at least 72 hours.  All committers are welcome to vote.  3 x [+1] votes are required to move forward.  If the vote is passed, a second vote is requested from the IPMC.

Please vote:
[+1] Signatures and checksums verified. Releases built and tests completed.  Release approved.
[0] No opinion
[-1] Release rejected - please include your reasoning.

Many thanks to all the contributors,

Regards,

John

John McCane-Whitney
Director of Product at Qredo Ltd
T: +44 7966 490687
1 Primrose Street
London, UK EC2A 2EX
https://qredo.com
Qredo Ltd is a limited company registered in England and Wales (registered number 7834052). This e-mail and any attachments are confidential, and are intended only for the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient you may not copy, disclose to anyone else or otherwise use the content of this e-mail or any attachment thereto and should notify the sender immediately and delete them from your system.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Milagro (incubating) Decentralized Trust Authority v0.1.0 (alpha release)

Posted by Howard Kitto <ho...@qredo.com>.
+1 from me

Howard Kitto

Qredo