Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Simon Burton <si...@arrowtheory.com> on 2006/07/26 03:49:23 UTC

move a directory "from within"

I have checked out a subdirectory of my repos:

~/$ svn co  svn+ssh://rubis/export/repos/elefant/test
Checked out revision 220.
~/$ cd test/
~/test$ svn up
At revision 220.

All is well.
Now (from another working copy) this subdirectory is moved to "new_test":

~/elefant-root$ svn mv test/ new_test/
A         new_test/test
D         test
~/elefant-root$ svn commit -m" testing svn... "
Adding         new_test
Adding         new_test/test
Deleting       test

Committed revision 221.

Now from the test working copy:
~/test$ svn up
svn: Cannot replace a directory from within
~/test$ svn switch svn+ssh://rubis/export/repos/elefant/trunk/new_test
svn: Cannot replace a directory from within

Where did I go wrong ? I am hoping to be able to restructure my repos
without permanently breaking all the user's working copies.

Simon.

--
Simon Burton, B.Sc.
Licensed PO Box 8066

Re: move a directory "from within"

Posted by Simon Burton <si...@arrowtheory.com>.
On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:57:16 +0200
Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com> wrote:

> On Jul 26, 2006, at 05:49, Simon Burton wrote:
> > ~/test$ svn switch svn+ssh://rubis/export/repos/elefant/trunk/new_test
> > svn: Cannot replace a directory from within
>
> If you "svn move" a part of your repository that others are using as
> the base of their working copies, then they will need to "svn switch"
> their working copy to the new address, since "svn up" will produce
> the error message you saw.
>
> I am unable to reproduce the problem you see when running "svn
> switch". It works correctly for me, with Subversion 1.3.2 on Mac OS X
> 10.4.7 PPC. I'm using the http protocol, not svn+ssh.

I was afraid of this. I'm on svn 1.1.3.

I also tried the "cd .." suggestion from Robert Wenner but that yields the
same error.

thanks for your time,

Simon.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Robert Wenner <ro...@atsec.com>.
On Tuesday 25 July 2006 22:49, Simon Burton wrote:
> Now from the test working copy:
> ~/test$ svn up
> svn: Cannot replace a directory from within

If you are in that old test directory (i.e., your $PWD is test), then you
would replace your current PWD with something else.
That doesn't work.
Just go up one level (cd ..) and try again.

> Where did I go wrong ? I am hoping to be able to restructure my repos
> without permanently breaking all the user's working copies.

I think you can re-structure, if you expect your users of updating at the
top level.

Robert