Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jorge Medina <jm...@e-dialog.com> on 2009/02/06 23:05:27 UTC

Classloaders

In server.xml , a <Server> may contain multiple <Service> elements.
Each <Service> can define multiple <Connectors> but a single <Engine>.
Each <Engine> can define multiple <Host>s.

How does this relate to the classloaders -if at all- ?

I couldn't find any reference about it on:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html

Would Tomcat create a classloader per each <Host> ?  <Engine> ? or
<Service>?

If I define two <Service>s, are they isolated by different classloaders?

-Jorge

RE: Classloaders

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Jorge Medina [mailto:jmedina@e-dialog.com]
> Subject: Classloaders
>
> How does this relate to the classloaders -if at all- ?

It doesn't.

> Would Tomcat create a classloader per each <Host> ?
> <Engine> ? or <Service>?

Nope.

> If I define two <Service>s, are they isolated by different
> classloaders?

Nope.

In 6.0, Tomcat creates a classloader for itself, plus one for each webapp.  The system classloader is used start up Tomcat, but very little after that.  There's no classloader separation for any of internally nested containers.

 - Chuck