Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Sonam Chauhan <so...@ce.com.au> on 2003/12/10 07:14:46 UTC

Hassles generating text assertions

Hi -

I have run into problems getting JMeter to do text assertions on certain
HTML text.

I want JMeter response assertions to ensures HTML snippets like the one
below occur in the HTTP response:
<input type="hidden" name="NEW_ITEM-DESCRIPTION[1]" value = "Leader ohp
trolley">

This requires that things like the quotation mark ('"'), be escaped. JMeter
uses Jakarta-ORO which implements Perl-compatible regular expressions (doco:
http://jakarta.apache.org/oro/index.html). So I figured  using Perl
quotemeta could escape the text properly:
bash$ perl -le 'print quotemeta q/<input type="hidden"
name="NEW_ITEM-DESCRIPTION[1]" value = "Leader ohp trolley">/'

That gave me:
\<input\ type\=\"hidden\"\ name\=\"NEW_ITEM\-DESCRIPTION\[1\]\"\ value\ \=\
\"Leader\ ohp\ trolley\"\>

This worked to an extent. The problem is that Jakarta-ORO/JMeter does not
like certain things Perl quotemeta does -- like the escaping of spaces ('\
'), or escaping square brackets ('\[1\]').

Can anyone let me know a good way to escape the HTML snippets above so that
JMeter can use it in a response assertions?

With regards,
Sonam Chauhan
--
Corporate Express Australia Ltd.
Phone: +61-2-9335-0725, Fax: 9335-0753, Email: sonamc@ce.com.au

Re: Hassles generating text assertions

Posted by Jordi Salvat i Alabart <js...@atg.com>.
Hi Sonam,

I've been testing. The Response Assertion seems to be handling escaped
spaces, quotes, brackets, etc. nicely. In any case, if it doesn't, it's
a bug, since the org.apache.oro.text.regex package description says:
"Any other backslashed character matches itself." Which means that
quotemeta is perfectly appropriate for your purpose (although it tends
to escape too much: it essentially escapes all non-alphanumeric characters).

Please double-check your tests.

--
Salut,

Jordi.