Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/23 08:49:14 UTC

Next 2.x release

I've made some progress on getting the distributed domain and sca
client going again and would like to do another release to get those
out. If i started the release process next week would that fit in ok
with others plans?

   ...ant

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Florian Moga <mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In my opinion, the getting-started samples would be enough for a release at
> the moment (they're in pretty good shape, few modifications will be needed).
> I'm still lost in our samples discussion so I've started a wiki page [1] to
> keep track of the requirements for a sample in order to make it to trunk.
> Please update it if I missed something so that we have a complete checklist
> for anyone wanting to work on the samples.
> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Tuscany+Samples+Requirements

It would be great if the wiki summarizes the pain points we are trying
to solve. This way we can make sure the solutions really address all
the issues. Otherwise is to vague.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
> IIRC, the "unreleased" folder was created for the in-progress code that is
> not ready for the release. We agreed on the following:
> 1) Developers have freedom to add code into unreleased
> 2) Developers have freedom to move code from unreleased into trunk if they
> think it's ready
> 3) When we propose to retire/move code from trunk into unreleased, we need
> to have consensus.
> I'm pretty keen on 3). I recently found it's pretty changeling to find where
> some code lives now :-(.

The decision to have an unreleased folder was a totally separate
discussion/decision to moving the samples out of trunk. The unreleased
discussion and folder creation happened back in October/November last
year. The decision to move the samples out of trunk to be fixed up and
use an RTC approach to moving them back happened just last month.
Neither of those had anything like a formal vote.

Our users have said its not good our releases are full of samples that
don't work, or which demonstrate Tuscany/SCA incorrectly, or that all
work in different inconsistent ways. We had a long discussion on the
ML about what to do and me and Florian and Mike and Simon L and Simon
N all agreed with trying this new approach to the samples. We spent a
long time trying to find points of consensus, you and Luciano did not
participate in that discussion, and it feels like now you think we're
trying to scam you or something.

We're just trying this new approach, it may work, it may not, it might
only be temporary, its certainly not a rigid set in stone approach and
its completely open to modifications or alternatives - do you or
Luciano have any suggestions?

   ...ant

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
IIRC, the "unreleased" folder was created for the in-progress code that is not ready for the release. We agreed on the following:

1) Developers have freedom to add code into unreleased
2) Developers have freedom to move code from unreleased into trunk if they think it's ready
3) When we propose to retire/move code from trunk into unreleased, we need to have consensus.

I'm pretty keen on 3). I recently found it's pretty changeling to find where some code lives now :-(.

Thanks,
Raymond
Raymond Feng
rfeng@apache.org
Apache Tuscany PMC member and committer: tuscany.apache.org
Co-author of Tuscany SCA In Action book: www.tuscanyinaction.com
Personal Web Site: www.enjoyjava.com

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
For such a process change that will impact how/where we commit code, we definitely need to have a VOTE. Long discussions with many issues mixed are very difficult to follow and conclude.

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 11:51 PM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 7:24 AM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 3:05 PM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Ok i've now added three getting started samples -
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/sca-java-2.x/trunk/samples/getting-started/
>>>
>>> Is that enough now to get three people to +1 a release? Or if not what
>>> else is needed?
>>>
>>>   ...ant
>>>

>> I've added the store app back, and did some minimal test from a
>> distribution which seems to work. It would be good to have that as
>> part of the release as well.
>>

> I've moved that to the unreleased folder so it can go through the
> review process that we're using for all samples before adding them to
> trunk. If you want it included then please first start a discussion to
> see if is something we want to include and what needs to be done to
> get it into shape.
>
>   ...ant

So, based on the discussion that we need some samples for a release,
one goes and proactively start migrating 'one' sample to trunk, and
based on CTR process we use, people are welcome to provide feedback on
any commit....  And all he gets is to have the samples moved to
unreleased ?

BTW, should we also move the getting-started samples to unreleased
folder for having a review ? Or do we have a selective review process
in Tuscany now ?

Anyway... have a good day ...

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/sca-java-2.x/trunk/samples/getting-started/

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
I've added a little now to the wiki page, and we can keep updating it
as we think of more things.

   ...ant

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
The issue with that is that users then need Maven to generate the Ant
scripts and the uses who want the Ant scripts probably don't want to
have to be using Maven. To fix that we could include the generated Ant
scripts with the sample but i'm not sure that the way the Maven
generated scripts download the dependencies from the Maven repo was
liked by some in the sample discussion thread.  Also the generated
script is three new files which starts to clutter up the maven sample,
i'm not sure how much of an issue this really is, one suggestion in
the sample discussion thread was to have a separate sample showing how
to use Tuscany with Ant. For now i was just leaving what to do with
Ant till later, but if someone else wants to try now sorting it out
that would be fine with me.

   ...ant

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by Florian Moga <mo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by Florian Moga <mo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ant,

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by Florian Moga <mo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If the whole purpose is to have certain level of artifacts versioned in
> maven, can you just create "local" releases instead of official ones? I do
> that all the time using a simple script and publish the jars into a
> "private" maven repo.

No, i think we need more frequent real releases. Its already over a
month since beta2 so i hope we can get another 2.x release out in not
too long.

   ...ant

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
The problem with the current samples is that most of them don't work
and there's no consensus yet on exactly what we want, I'm sure you've
all see the eighty odd long email thread about them - subject:  "2.0
Beta2 samples (was: [VOTE] Release Tuscany SCA 2.0 Beta2 RC2)".

We could for now just copy back the samples that were in beta2, but
most of them didn't work or are incomplete, and we've had several
comments from devs and users saying its not helpful including samples
with problems. We could include just a few samples but I've trying to
get a basic helloworld sample into a state that there''s some
consensus is ok but no one other than me has ever said they're happy
with any of them.

All i personally want right now is the runtime jars released to the
Maven repository so i can use them without depending on snapshots, so
for that it needs the src distribution and the modules published, i
don't really need a binary distribution or any samples, and I don't
mind if its called 2.0-Beta3 or something else. So i'd quite like to
just release that now and sort out the samples later before 2.0. Would

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
A release without samples is strange.

Raymond Feng
Sent from my iPhone

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 2:42 PM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 8:57 AM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> > I'm not going to argue against that I was just repeating what we've
>> > said previously. How about the make this the last beta then get down
>> > to doing the 2.0 release. Our first action should be to list all the
>> > things we think we need to get done in JIRA under the 2.0 category and
>> > then work through them. Our 2.0 category has 18 items in it (2.x
>> > category has 43 items in it) many of while can be closed. So we should
>> > close them down and populate with any others that must be there.
>> >

>> Ok that makes sense. To make this clearer I've moved all the existing
>> open v2 JIRAs to Java-SCA-2.x (there were still a few open ones from
>> previous v2 releases too), lets spend the next week adding what are
>> real issues and tasks that need to happen for 2.0 and put them in
>> Java-SCA-2.0. Then we can see how close we are to doing the 2.0
>> release.
>>

> Not many JIRA added to the Java-SCA-2.0 category yet. Is this because we're
> almost done and people are happy to leave things till post 2.0 or do we need
> more time to move and create the JIRAs?
>
>    ...ant

I think it's because we haven't got our fingers out and done it!

Simon

Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

RE: Next 2.x release (UNCLASSIFIED)

Posted by "Yang, Gang USA CTR (CH)" <ga...@mail.mil>.
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Hi, Simon,

Thanks for looking into this. The significance of JIRA 3852 and 3853 is that it at least allow us get hold of the SOAP message for security processing.

>From the view point of having a general solution, fixing 3852 is preferred since it allows us to integrate with Tuscany instead of the specific WS binding providers (sort of), which can theoretically provide a more generic solution regardless what binding provider is used. I understand my this statement is not entirely true because it depends on how much abstractions Tuscany API provides. I think our earlier discussions touched upon this. But there's a hope. On the contrary, 3853 only provides a way to integrate with Axis2 binding provider specifically.

Thanks again.
Gang

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.