Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by ju...@biblicaltext.com on 2021/03/17 06:53:12 UTC

Cassandra video tutorials for administrators.

I know there is a lot of useful information out there, including on you tube. I am looking for recommendations for good introductory (but detailed) videos created by people who have cassandra cluster management, that outline all the day to day activities someone who is managing a cluster would understand and/or be doing.

I believe I have a reasonably good grasp of Cassandra, but I am in that “I don’t know what I don’t know phase” where there might be things that I am unaware I should understand.

Thanks,
Justine

RE: Cassandra video tutorials for administrators.

Posted by "Durity, Sean R" <SE...@homedepot.com>.
+1 for data modeling. If an admin can spend the day helping app teams get the model right BEFORE hitting production, those are the best days (and prevent the bad days of trying to engineer around a bad model/migrate data to new tables/etc)

I also find good value in understanding the availability guarantees of Cassandra and the underlying VMs/hardware for each application. However, app teams do not usually spend the necessary time to understand how to construct their connections to take full advantage of the powerful cluster they have. Learning about the connection policies of the various drivers is important. Then “encourage” the app team to actually test their availability in lower life cycles by simulating various failure scenarios.

Then there is monitoring – a beast of a subject… Trying to figure out what is actionable is a life-long journey. 😉

Fortunately, my “How to Become the Lord of the Rings” talk from Cassandra Summit 2019 is not available. You can avoid my ugly mug.

Sean Durity

Posted by Patrick McFadin <pm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justine,

Posted by ju...@biblicaltext.com.

https://biblicaltext.com/ <https://biblicaltext.com/>

Re: Cassandra video tutorials for administrators.

Posted by Elliott Sims <el...@backblaze.com>.