Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Alexander Erk <er...@irt.de> on 2003/01/08 10:19:16 UTC

question about log4j and log4jME

Hi logj4 people,

I am planing to use the log4jME in one of my projects. First I've looked
for a small version of log4j and the workplan for log4j 1.2 showed me,
that there is log4jME available.
When I look into the code, I see that log4jME is still using the
Category class. But logj4 itself moved over to the use of the Logger
classes. Is it still "save" to use the Category classes, or will it be
advisable to wait for a ner version of the log4jME stuff , then using
the Logger  class?

Thanks

--
Alexander Erk, Dipl.-Inf. (FH)
Institut fuer Rundfunktechnik GmbH

Tel: +49 (0)89 32399- 282       e-mail: erk@irt.de
Fax: +49 (0)89 32399- 200       web: www.irt.de

Re: question about log4j and log4jME

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
A few comments on log4jMini:

1) Is is licensed under the Apache license which means that you can
fork if you wish to do so. The only restriction is that you cannot use
the names log4j, jakarta or apache for your new (forked) software.

2) I am very busy with my log4j book and other programming tasks such
that I cannot work on log4j 1.3 until early February.

3) To make log4jMini compatible with log4j 1.2, it would be enough to
rename the Category class to Logger. I don't think much else needs to
be changed.

I will immediately create a mini/ directory in our CVS repositopry for
those wishing to work on log4jMini.

The reasons for the deliberate omission of isWarnEnabled and
isErrorEnabled methods are explained in the complete log4j manual. I
am attaching the relevant pages (33 to 37) for your convenience. See
in particular page 34.

HTH,

At 09:57 09.01.2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi Alexander,
>
>I had myself already taken a look at log4jME to notice the same thing.
>Personaly, I wouldn't use any deprecated class in my new projects so I
>decided to use log4j and then siwtch to log4jME when an up-to-date version
>is available (they are said to be compatible).
>
>Lately anyway, I have considered the possibility of using log4j for a game
>engine project. I would rather use log4jME but there is still no
>up-to-date version. Also there is a method that I miss in both versions of
>log4j: Logger.isWarnEnabled() (and possibly isErrorEnabled) to stay fast.
>So I was about to try and make my own nano-very-very-limited-tiny-log4j
>and then came the christmas holydays... :(
>
>Maybe a project similar to log4jMe should come up directly within the
>recently proposed log4j-sandbox project. It could get things easier to
>synchronize...
>
>Regards,
>

>Herv�
>
>On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Alexander Erk wrote:
>
> > Hi logj4 people,
> >
> > I am planing to use the log4jME in one of my projects. First I've looked
> > for a small version of log4j and the workplan for log4j 1.2 showed me,
> > that there is log4jME available.
> > When I look into the code, I see that log4jME is still using the
> > Category class. But logj4 itself moved over to the use of the Logger
> > classes. Is it still "save" to use the Category classes, or will it be
> > advisable to wait for a ner version of the log4jME stuff , then using
> > the Logger  class?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > --
> > Alexander Erk, Dipl.-Inf. (FH)
> > Institut fuer Rundfunktechnik GmbH
> > Diensteentwicklung und Medieninfrastruktur
> > Floriansmuehlstr. 60
> > 80939 Muenchen, Germany
> >
> > Tel: +49 (0)89 32399- 282       e-mail: erk@irt.de
> > Fax: +49 (0)89 32399- 200       web: www.irt.de

[...]