Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Barnes <ma...@coat.com> on 2006/09/13 14:29:13 UTC

Solution Re: Problem setting up Application-managed DataSource???

Well, by reading the source for DBCP 1.2.1, I can see that
BasicDataSource method:

     getConnection(String username, String password)

is not supported because the delegate which BasicDataSource
uses, an instance of PoolingDataSource, throws an
UnsupportedOperationException in method:

     getConnection(String username, String password).

This essentially tells me that Tomcat 5.5.17 does not
support an Application-managed DataSource if you use the
standard  Java API.  You can, however, cast the
DataSource returned from JNDI to:

     org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource

and then call the following before getting the first
connection (where "ds" is the reference to the
BasicDataSource):

     ds.setUsername(username);
     ds.setPassword(password);

or:

     ds.addConnectionProperty("user", username);
     ds.addConnectionProperty("password", password);

This, of course, makes the code Tomcat-specific.