Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2013/10/26 11:07:47 UTC

[LANG] Use JDiff instead of Clirr?

Hi,

I recently came across Google Guice 4.0 Beta. They is a tool called JDiff
[1] to visualize API changes [2]. To me this report is much easier to
understand than the Clirr report. This is for the fact that it visualizes
the changes in an JavaDoc like format. When I think about an API, I always
think of it in terms of the packages and the classes, interfaces etc in
them. Clirr just produces an unstructured flat list. With JDiff I can
navigate to the packages I have in use and see exactly what has changes.

That said I'd like to propose to give JDiff a try in [lang]. There is a
maven plugin [3] but it is in beta state. Don't know if thats a no go for
us.

Benedikt

[1] http://www.jdiff.org
[2]
https://google-guice.googlecode.com/git/latest-api-diffs/4.0/changes.html
[3] http://mojo.codehaus.org/jdiff-maven-plugin/

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/

Re: [LANG] Use JDiff instead of Clirr?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
If I had to pick between JDiff and Clirr, I'd pick Clirr. Not to say there
is no value in JDiff, there is, but Clirr serves our purpose better IMO,
because Clirr tells me when I've broken compatibility. I see the value in
JDiff in organizing the information in a different way. I could see that
have both might help some users in some cases. Which begs the question, why
not better integrate JDiff/Clirr information in Javadoc itself, a topic for
a different thread and a different tool ;)

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory