Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by sishen <ye...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/17 20:58:49 UTC

Does log4cxx support variable-arguments?

Hey. everyone.

I'm a new user of log4cxx. I want to know whether log4cxx support variable
argument?
I have found the maillist archive, but i haven't got any answers.

for example, like the macro:
#define LOG4CXX_DEBUG<http://logging.apache.org/log4cxx/manual/group__LoggingMacros.html#ga1>(logger,
message)

it only takes two argument.  And now i have to combine all argument to a
string.

This is not convenient. I think variable-argument is common for logging
system.
Any advice prefer, :)

Re: Does log4cxx support variable-arguments?

Posted by sishen <ye...@gmail.com>.
yeah. I prefer this way.  That's what i want.

Thanks all, :)

Posted by Derek Baum <de...@paremus.com>.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Sep 17, 2006, at 1:58 PM, sishen wrote:

> Hey. everyone.
>
> I'm a new user of log4cxx. I want to know whether log4cxx support
> variable argument?
> I have found the maillist archive, but i haven't got any answers.
>
> for example, like the macro:
> #define  LOG4CXX_DEBUG(logger, message)
>
> it only takes two argument.  And now i have to combine all argument
> to a string.
>
> This is not convenient. I think variable-argument is common for
> logging system.
> Any advice prefer, :)

No, however the message parameter can be an expression, the
expression could be a function that takes varargs or has multiple
signatures.  The expression is only evaluated if the threshold is
satisified, so if you do something like:

LOG4CXX_INFO(logger, logfmt("%s %s %d", arg1, arg2, arg3));

The logfmt method would only be called if logger's threshold level is
INFO or above (where logfmt would be a method you defined that
returned std::string or std::wstring).  The LOG4CXX_INFO are
preprocessor macros which handle all the details in passing the
caller information to the actual logger methods.  If they were not
preprocessor macros the __LINE__ and __FILE__ would refer the the
location of the method implementation, not the caller.  As
preprocessor macros, they do not have the ability to overload the
macro name with multiple definitions for different argument lists.

Re: [SPAM] Does log4cxx support variable-arguments?

Posted by re...@rubixinfotech.com.
Sadly, I don't think so... what we ended up doing was to modify log4cxx to
support the following additional fn()'s:

      void debugf(const char *fmt, ...);
      void infof(const char *fmt, ...);
      void warnf(const char *fmt, ...);
      void errorf(const char *fmt, ...);
      void fatalf(const char *fmt, ...);

They are each implemented as:

void Logger::debugf(const char* format, ...)
{
        if(repository->isDisabled(Level::DEBUG_INT))
        {
                return;
        }

        // Format the string
        va_list pvar;
        va_start(pvar, format);

        if(Level::DEBUG->isGreaterOrEqual(getEffectiveLevel()))
        {
          char MessageBuffer[LOG_MESSAGE_BUFF_SIZE];
          vsnprintf(MessageBuffer, sizeof(MessageBuffer), format, pvar);
          forcedLog(FQCN, Level::DEBUG, MessageBuffer);
        }
}

Renny Koshy
President & CEO

RUBIX Information Technologies, Inc.
www.rubixinfotech.com

             sishen
             <yedingding@gmail
                                       log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org
             09/17/2006 02:58                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       [SPAM] Does log4cxx support
             Please respond to         variable-arguments?
              "Log4CXX User"
             <log4cxx-user@log
             ging.apache.org>