Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2010/04/09 17:34:31 UTC

Re: svn commit: r932456 - /ant/core/trunk/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/PropertyHelper.java

On 2010-04-09, <mb...@apache.org> wrote:

> Address indexOf inefficiency in PropertyHelper embedded
> skip-double-dollar propertyexpander implementation.

Maybe we should also modify the code in DEFAULT_EXPANDER since it will
call indexOf repeatedly as well.

I've started to write a test for this but even with a couple MB of
random text and property references I fail to see any big performance
differences between 1.8.0 and 1.7.1 on my machine.

Stefan

Re: svn commit: r932456 - /ant/core/trunk/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/PropertyHelper.java

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2010-04-12, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> Bugzilla Issue 48961 has an example build file attached to it that I'm
> going to try.

No longer necessary since Christoph already did so.  Looks good.

Stefan

Re: svn commit: r932456 - /ant/core/trunk/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/PropertyHelper.java

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2010-04-09, Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2010, at 10:34 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> On 2010-04-09, <mb...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Address indexOf inefficiency in PropertyHelper embedded
>>> skip-double-dollar propertyexpander implementation.

>> Maybe we should also modify the code in DEFAULT_EXPANDER since it will
>> call indexOf repeatedly as well.

> Let me check that.

Thanks.

>> I've started to write a test for this but even with a couple MB of
>> random text and property references I fail to see any big performance
>> differences between 1.8.0 and 1.7.1 on my machine.

> I wondered about that.  :|  Do what we can for now I guess?

Bugzilla Issue 48961 has an example build file attached to it that I'm
going to try.  In Issue 49079 Paul has already confirmed the change has
fixed the problem, so it looks the repeated indexOfs really were causing
it.

Stefan

Re: svn commit: r932456 - /ant/core/trunk/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/PropertyHelper.java

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 9, 2010, at 10:34 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On 2010-04-09, <mb...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Address indexOf inefficiency in PropertyHelper embedded
>> skip-double-dollar propertyexpander implementation.
>
> Maybe we should also modify the code in DEFAULT_EXPANDER since it will
> call indexOf repeatedly as well.

Let me check that.

> I've started to write a test for this but even with a couple MB of
> random text and property references I fail to see any big performance
> differences between 1.8.0 and 1.7.1 on my machine.

I wondered about that.  :|  Do what we can for now I guess?

-Matt