Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Justin Dearing <zi...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/18 16:30:05 UTC

3.0 documentation

Hi everyone,

We've been talking a lot about the format of 3.0 documentation, and
where it will go in svn. However, I have a few comments about the
content of the 3.0 documentation.

First of all is platform support. Can we list cygwin and mingw, and
macosx as officially supported? My understanding is that basically
means building the binaries, signing them and placing them on the
website. I understand thats a whole lot of uninteresting work that has
to be done by trusted members of the project and not something an
outsider like myself can just do and submit a patch to jira. However,
I can note issues with those platforms in 3.0 as I have done with 2.8.

Secondly, I think the platform build instructions should be
reorganized slightly. The windows build instructions should be moved
into a separate document. And the mingw, cygwin and mac command line
instructions should have hyperlinks to the unix build instructions.
Right now the mac command line instructions state they are identical
to the unix instructions and show the correct runConfigure arguments
to use. However, there is no link to the unix build instructions.

Boris, if you agree let me know. Should I just start working on a
patch now or wait for the documentation format change to take place?

Best Regards,

Justin Dearing