Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@che-che.com> on 2003/09/03 13:48:02 UTC

Re: [patch] person tag

Jeff,

Jeff Turner wrote:

> In this case, I didn't respond because I'm not sure if the patch is a
> good idea, and wanted time to think/hear people's opinions.  A page with
> a mailto: link to the author implies that the author should be contacted
> for comments/changes.  That is not the case in ASF projects, where
> authorship does not equal ownership.  If anything, I'd like to go the
> other way; make the appearance of *any* accreditation on the web page
> optional.  What do people think?

Well, If for whatever reasons a document have:

<authors>
<person name="Juan José Pablos Castañeda" email="cheche@apache.org"/>
</authors>

The html output format should have that informatino as well.

For ASF sites this patch does not stop you to do this:

<authors>
<person name="Juan José Pablos Castañeda" email="forrest-dev@apache.org"/>
</authors>

But that should be changed in the source of the document, I think that
we should display whatever comes from the source.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Cheche

Re: [patch] person tag

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@che-che.com>.
David,

Template created, you need to change this on your skin to work:

92c92
<               <xsl:value-of select="@name"/>
---
 >               <xsl:call-template name="email"/>

But in orde to get it working I need to change xsl:param to
xsl:variable, and I do not know why:

43c43
<   <xsl:param name="obfuscate-mail-links" select="'false'"/>
---
 >   <xsl:variable name="obfuscate-mail-links" select="'true'"/>

can anyone have an idea of the reason of this behavior?

Cheers,
Cheche

Re: [patch] person tag

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Re: [patch] person tag

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@che-che.com>.
Jeff,

Jeff Turner wrote:
> Why?  I would have thought page metadata is primarily of interest to the
> document author, who has access to the XML.  There is no rule saying we
> need display all metadata.  Browsers don't render HTML <meta> tags do
> they?

If we do not want to print Metadata, we should not be printing
authors/person@name.

we could move all header elements inside <meta/> for html format.

>>For ASF sites this patch does not stop you to do this:
>>
>><authors>
>><person name="Juan José Pablos Castañeda" email="forrest-dev@apache.org"/>
>></authors>
>

> That's abusing the tag to achieve an effect.  Your email address is not
> forrest-dev@xml.apache.org ;P  It would be better to introduce a new tag:
>
> <owner name="Forrest-dev" email="forrest-dev@xml.apache.org"/>

so what about if we create an email template so it can be called from
other skins if need be.

<xsl:template name="email">

<xsl:attribute name="href">
                   <xsl:choose>
                     <xsl:when test="$obfuscate-mail-links='true'">
                       <xsl:variable name="user"
select="substring-before(@email,'@')"/>
                       <xsl:variable name="host"
select="substring-after(@email,'@')"/>
                       <xsl:value-of
select="concat('mailto:',$user,'.at.',$host)"/>
                     </xsl:when>
                     <xsl:otherwise>
                       <xsl:value-of select="concat('mailto:',@email)"/>
                     </xsl:otherwise>
                   </xsl:choose>
                 </xsl:attribute>

</xsl:template>

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Cheche

Re: [patch] person tag

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 01:48:02PM +0200, Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> Jeff Turner wrote:
> >
> >In this case, I didn't respond because I'm not sure if the patch is a
> >good idea, and wanted time to think/hear people's opinions.  A page with
> >a mailto: link to the author implies that the author should be contacted
> >for comments/changes.  That is not the case in ASF projects, where
> >authorship does not equal ownership.  If anything, I'd like to go the
> >other way; make the appearance of *any* accreditation on the web page
> >optional.  What do people think?
> >

> Well, If for whatever reasons a document have:
>
> <authors>
> <person name="Juan José Pablos Castañeda" email="cheche@apache.org"/>
> </authors>
>
> The html output format should have that informatino as well.

Why?  I would have thought page metadata is primarily of interest to the
document author, who has access to the XML.  There is no rule saying we
need display all metadata.  Browsers don't render HTML <meta> tags do
they?

> For ASF sites this patch does not stop you to do this:
>
> <authors>
> <person name="Juan José Pablos Castañeda" email="forrest-dev@apache.org"/>
> </authors>

That's abusing the tag to achieve an effect.  Your email address is not
forrest-dev@xml.apache.org ;P  It would be better to introduce a new tag:

<owner name="Forrest-dev" email="forrest-dev@xml.apache.org"/>

--Jeff