Posted to dev@etch.apache.org by Martin Veith <Ma...@bmw-carit.de> on 2013/07/17 08:46:43 UTC

Planning next Etch release

Hi all,

I think it is time to do our next Etch release.
Therefore I'm going to check all our issues in Jira within this week in order to see, which changes can be integrated in the upcoming release.
I'm planning to finalize the release at the end of next week (around July 26).

Do you have any patches which should be included in this next release?
Even tough, I think it would be good to release more often (e.g. once a month) in order to push bug fixes more frequently. So we can include any "at the moment not yet ready" patches in the next minor release.

As this release will contain the new implementation of the C++ compiler and runtime, I would propose to do a major release by setting the version to 1.3.0.
The C++ binding is still in beta and under testing, but it looks quite good what I have seen so far.

Do you have any comments on that? Any other objections?

Best regards,
Martin

RE: Planning next Etch release

Posted by Martin Veith <Ma...@bmw-carit.de>.
Giorgio Zoppi wrote on 2013-08-09:
> Martin, do you have a roadmap or a backlog for the C++?
Honestly, there is no real roadmap for the C++ atm. Our goal for this release was to bring the C++ binding to the same feature set as e.g. the Java binding has.
We can discuss together what should be next (beside fixing all the issues already added to jira).

> I have downloaded the svn at home. Is there a quick and dirt or not way to
> compile all without checking boring dependencies. Here at work we have a
> script for our system that it does dependencies setup and that you do
> simply a make. It would improve productivity a lot. Regards, Giorgio
There is no 'official hack' to get all the dependencies.
To provide all the necessary dependencies for the build to the Apache build servers we created two archives containing all of them for both Windows and Linux.
You can get them from [1]. These archives should solve all your dependency issues.
The only thing you have to do then is to set the ETCH_EXTERNAL_DEPENDS evironment variable to the extracted folder.

Hope this helps!

I would really appreciate to make this dependency handling process better.
Somewhere in the scripts folder there is an ant script with an ant target which can download dependencies. I think it has not been maintain very well the last months.. Should we reactive that or does anybody has a better proposal?

Cheers,
Martin

[1] http://people.apache.org/~veithm/etch/externals/

Posted by Michael Fitzner <fi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Giorgio,
At the moment Etch has some dependencies to development tools like a
C++ Compiler, CMake, ANT etc. Furthermore we have some dependencies to
third party libraries like apr. Do you have any ideas to improve the
build setup? If we find a solution that works for Windows and Linux
both would be great!

@Martin Im fine with your suggestion; As soon as the 1.3 issues are
solved we can create the release

Thanks
Michael

Posted by Giorgio Zoppi <gi...@gmail.com>.
Martin,

Posted by Martin Veith <Ma...@bmw-carit.de>.

Posted by Michael Fitzner <fi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martin,
I can also help out to fix some issues and get the next release in
place. I have been looked to the build server and the issue tracker.
So I suggest the following steps:

Posted by Giorgio Zoppi <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martin,

Posted by Martin Veith <Ma...@bmw-carit.de>.

Posted by Giorgio Zoppi <gi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Veith <Ma...@bmw-carit.de>.
Giorgio Zoppi wrote on 2013-07-18:
> AFAIK  Linux supports SocketCAN, how can replace in C++ or C binding,
> TCP with Socket CAN? I mean what have I to modify to support another
> transport protocol (CAN, UDP, ecc)?
Etch has different layers, among others a dedicated transport layer (see the archictecture at [1]).

At the moment for the C and C++ binding there exists only an implementation for Windows/PosIX TCP/IP sockets, but you can add a new transport layer which encapsulates the SocketCAN communication. You might want to take a look at EtchConnection/EtchTcpConnection and EtchSessionListener/EtchTcpListener (referring to the C++ binding, in C binding there are similar files).
If you have any further question on this, don't hesitate to open a new discussion on the mailing list.

Cheers,
Martin

[1] http://etch.apache.org/documentation/architecture.html#Architecture-EtchTheArchitecture

Posted by Giorgio Zoppi <gi...@gmail.com>.