Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by problems mail <pr...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/08 17:07:11 UTC

Re: Access logging

Sorry to resurrect this thread. But there is no documentation on how to do
logging in Geronimo.

I looked through the classes and see GeronimoLog and others, but no usage on
any of these from a JSP.

Do we have to include log4j jar files as part of our WEB-INF/lib folders ?

-- Simon

On 6/28/07, solprovider@apache.org <so...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 6/28/07, bdushok <bd...@luzerne.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone point me toward any documentation on how to set up access
> logging?
> > I have apps running on Geronimo 1.1.1 and would like to obtain access
> info
> > for individual jsp pages and servlets.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bob
>
> Logging hits is problematic on the Web.  Are you checking server load,
> or do you want the actual number of times each page is opened?
>
> For server load, check the logs of the http engine.  For Geronimo,
> those logs would be generated by Tomcat or Jetty.
>
> For secure pages, the server logs may also be good enough since the
> browser will usually contact the server.
>
> For the real number of times a page is opened or a link is clicked,
> you need to work around Internet caching.  That requires JavaScript or
> some other technology that can dynamically generate URLs.  Google
> Analytics is a free version.  I recently wrote a simple WAR to handle
> this for a confidential application with two parts:
> 1. JavaScript added to every page or link you want to log.  The URL
> must be unique.  I add the datetime and a random number to make
> certain each URL is unique.  This required  5 lines of JS for a
> function plus one call for each item being logged (the page or a
> link.)
> 2. A Servlet that accepts the URL and logs information.  I used log4j
> so the Java code fit on one screen.  I made almost everything
> configurable from web.xml.
>
> solprovider

Simon

Re: Access logging

Posted by Jason Warner <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hey Simon,

Some basic logging information can be found on the geronimo coding standards
page found here: http://geronimo.apache.org/coding-standards.html

The highlights of this page as pertains to your question are:

   - Log as much as necessary for someone to figure out what broke
   - Use org.apache.commons.logging.Log rather than raw *Log4j*
   - Do not log throwables that you throw - leave it to the caller
   - Use flags to avoid string concatenation for *debug* and *trace*
   - Cache flags (especially for *trace*) to avoid excessive
   isTraceEnabled() calls

As to including the log4j jar in your WEB-INF/lib, I don't believe that's
necessary.  If log4j is already being pulled into geronimo, you can just add
a dependency in your geronimo-web.xml.  I think you're also going to need a
dependency on commons-logging as well, from what my previous copy/paste
says.  I'm not positive of that though, and I lack a geronimo install to
check so maybe someone with more know-how could chime in with a yay or nay.

Hope this helps,

Jason Warner