Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2020/09/09 08:35:35 UTC

HttpCore release build broken

Hi Michael

The latest Maven POM changes appear to have broken a number of things
in the release process:

1. src and javadoc jars no longer get published with `mvn deploy`

2. `mvn deploy -Prelease` no longer triggers artifact signing and
publishing.

I will be trying to figure what might have caused the issues but I
would really appreciate a helping hand.

Oleg

Re: HttpCore release build broken

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2020-09-09 um 12:08 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> On Wed, 2020-09-09 at 11:42 +0200, Michael Osipov wrote:

>> Am 2020-09-09 um 11:38 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
>>> On Wed, 2020-09-09 at 11:23 +0200, Michael Osipov wrote:
>>> I figured that. Sadly that messed up RC and release tags.
>>>
>>> I had some really, really bad experience with the Maven release
>>> plug-
>>> in. I still would prefer my own release scripts.
>>
>> Can you please share why? I have done tens and tens of ASF releases
>> with
>> this scheme, it never really faile for me.
>>
>> Can you still give a try and report back?
>>

> Admittedly most of woes with the Maven release back to the days of
> Subversion. Maven Release Plugin and Subversion combo was a fucking
> nightmare.

This was mostly related to the EU/US mirrors sync of the ASF Subversion
repo.

> One immediate problem that see with Maven Release Plugin its failure to
> create reasonable RC and release tags.

 From a Maven Release Plugin POV, there is no technical difference
between 5.0.2-rc1 and 5.0.2 as the process itself is concerned. It will
just work.
You can simply tag and stage as 5.0.2, if it does not pass the vote for
technical reasons, you drop the release from repository.a.o, fix the
issues and reroll as 5.0.3.
You can work with RCs as beta which constitute a release qualified by
the community, but I don't know whether they really need to go through
an extra hoop for a patch release. Rerunning is way easier in my
opinion. Have done for for several release which have been canceled due
to bugs.

Notes: http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#release-types

Hope this helps!

> I still see no way around having a custom script to generate and
> publish dist packages and to generate the release vote message. I might
> as well have a script for release tagging.

Please see here [1] whether it helps. Although it is for the Maven
community, but the general process can be applied to every Maven-based
project.

[1]
https://maven.apache.org/developers/release/maven-project-release-procedure.html

Re: HttpCore release build broken

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2020-09-09 at 11:42 +0200, Michael Osipov wrote:

> Am 2020-09-09 um 11:38 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> > On Wed, 2020-09-09 at 11:23 +0200, Michael Osipov wrote:
> > I figured that. Sadly that messed up RC and release tags.
> >
> > I had some really, really bad experience with the Maven release
> > plug-
> > in. I still would prefer my own release scripts.
>
> Can you please share why? I have done tens and tens of ASF releases
> with
> this scheme, it never really faile for me.
>
> Can you still give a try and report back?

Admittedly most of woes with the Maven release back to the days of
Subversion. Maven Release Plugin and Subversion combo was a fucking
nightmare.

One immediate problem that see with Maven Release Plugin its failure to
create reasonable RC and release tags.

I still see no way around having a custom script to generate and
publish dist packages and to generate the release vote message. I might
as well have a script for release tagging.

Cheers

Oleg

Re: HttpCore release build broken

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2020-09-09 at 11:23 +0200, Michael Osipov wrote:
> So, let's go through:
>
> Am 2020-09-09 um 10:35 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> > Hi Michael
> >
> > The latest Maven POM changes appear to have broken a number of
> > things
> > in the release process:
> >
> > 1. src and javadoc jars no longer get published with `mvn deploy`
>
> This is likely a matter of taste, but  I have deliberately removed
> their
> generation with package phase
> * because those are mostly required when release phase
> * They duplicate the apache-release profile
> * They add time to the build
>
> Do you still want them to be always generated?
>
> > 2. `mvn deploy -Prelease` no longer triggers artifact signing and
> > publishing.
>
> This is not the process designed by the ASF. There is documentation
> how
> an ASF release should be staged/performed. [1], [2]
>
> You peform "mvn release:prepare relase:perform" and the apache-
> parent
> will do the rest.
>
> Have a look at Release Plugin config [3] which will trigger the
> apache-release profile [4].
> It will create a release staging repo for you and will upload all
> necessary artifacts along with the mandatory source-release.zip and
> detached sigs + SHA-512 hashes.
>
> This is what I did for httpcomponents-parent.

I figured that. Sadly that messed up RC and release tags.

I had some really, really bad experience with the Maven release plug-
in. I still would prefer my own release scripts.

Oleg

PS: The trouble was caused by `release` profile being called `apache-
release` in org.apache:apache:23

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
So, let's go through: