Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Peter Romianowski <pe...@antaramusic.de> on 2001/09/10 18:23:26 UTC

RE: Question (browser cache)

basicly there are 2 ways. one is html-based the other http-based. (ok, at
the end both affect the header in some way...)
you could simply add the following to every jsp/html page
	<head>
	</head>

or (what i would recommend) add the following line to your jsp-code:
<%
	response.setHeader ("Pragma", "no-cache");
%>
you could simply put this (together with other common code) into one
include...

hope this helps,
pero

Posted by James Bucanek <su...@gloaming.com>.
Good morning,

I just bought a web account from a local web hosting provider.  I
wanted to start doing some JSP and my current WHP doesn't support JSP.

I'm not new to Java and have written a few servlets in my time.  But
I am new to Tomcat and JSP.  My WHP has minimal (read no)
documentation, so I'm now wondering how to get started.

My WHP is running Linux Red Hat, Apache, and Tomcat.  I've got an
account and a web directory on the system (which all work, by the
way).

Basically, how do I set up my existing servlets and get JSP pages
running?  Where does my WEB_INF/web.xml file go?

I have several tutorials, but they all explain how to set up Tomcat
for a machine that you own.  What I'm looking for is a simple
tutorial for setting up servlets and JSP on a machine that's been
configured for use by many users.

Example: All of the tutorials I have say to set up your web app
configuration files, then restart Tomcat.  Obviously I can't restart
Tomcat on my provider's machine.  So when does/will Tomcat pick up
new web applications or changes to servlet JARs etc.?

Thanks

__________________________________
James Bucanek
<ma...@gloaming.com>

RE: Question (browser cache)

Posted by Dan Silva <ds...@hcpersonal.com>.
Thanks Pero!

- - -
Dan Silva
Java Developer
HcPersonal, Inc.
dsilva@hcpersonal.com

<>| basicly there are 2 ways. one is html-based the other
<>| http-based. (ok, at
<>| the end both affect the header in some way...)
<>| you could simply add the following to every jsp/html page
<>| <html>
<>| 	<head>
<>| 		<meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache">
<>| 	</head>
<>| </html>
<>|
<>| or (what i would recommend) add the following line to
<>| your jsp-code:
<>| <%
<>| 	response.setHeader ("Pragma", "no-cache");
<>| %>
<>| you could simply put this (together with other common
<>| code) into one
<>| include...
<>|
<>| hope this helps,
<>| pero
<>|
<>| I am using Tomcat as both web server and app server.
<>|
<>| How do I get my JSP pages to load from the web server and
<>| not from a
<>| client-side cache everytime they are hit?
<>|
<>| - - -
<>| Dan Silva
<>| Java Developer