Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Blair Martin <bl...@mindspring.com> on 2002/01/16 21:21:52 UTC

Re: Log rolling

Found the following in the archive re. log rollover. It appears to be the
same problem I'm having. The log file is truncated when the size limit is
reached but no backup is created so everything is lost. My properties:

services.LoggingService.facilities=system,debug,security,rotation
services.LoggingService.default=rotation
services.LoggingService.loggingConfig=org.apache.turbine.services.logging.Pr
opertiesLoggingConfig
# An example configuration for automatic log rotation using Log4Java
# This will keep the log file size under 1MB and save up to 5 backup copies
services.LoggingService.rotation.destination.file=/logs/turbine.log
services.LoggingService.rotation.file.size=1048576
services.LoggingService.rotation.file.backups=5
services.LoggingService.rotation.className=org.apache.turbine.services.loggi
ng.Log4JavaLogger
services.LoggingService.rotation.level=DEBUG

I'm using Turbine 2.1 on Win2K. Any ideas?

Blair

Hi

Just try to set
services.LoggingService.default=rotation

Should be able to get the things working...

Regards
==========
Ian Lim
email: mallim_sg@yahoo.com.sg
homepage: http://www.webappcabaret.com/mallim

I don't see the turbine log getting rolled. I'm using Turbine 2.1

I have in TR.props

services.LoggingService.facilities=system,debug,security,rotation
services.LoggingService.default=system
services.LoggingService.loggingConfig=org.apache.turbine.services.loggin
g.PropertiesLoggingConfig

other logging conf...

services.LoggingService.rotation.destination.file=/logs/turbine.log
services.LoggingService.rotation.file.size=2048
services.LoggingService.rotation.file.backups=5
services.LoggingService.rotation.className=org.apache.turbine.services.l
ogging.Log4JavaLogger
services.LoggingService.rotation.level=INFO

Any idea what is going on? ( i made the size small so I could observe
the roll... )

Chris C

Re: Log rolling

Posted by Dave Hollar <da...@bizpiranha.com>.
Thanks for your help Scott.  I'll play more with this in hopes of getting to
a working config.

> No, I don't use "rotation".  Here is the first few lines:
>
> services.LoggingService.facilities=system,debug,security
> services.LoggingService.default=system

services.LoggingService.loggingConfig=org.apache.turbine.services.logging.Pr
> opertiesLoggingConfig
>
> It is the system log that I wish to rotate and hence the
> lines are configured as:
>
> services.LoggingService.system
>
> Cheers,
>
> Scott

services.LoggingService.system.className=org.apache.turbine.services.logging
> > > .Log4JavaLogger
> > > services.LoggingService.system.level=INFO
> > > services.LoggingService.system.file.size=268
> > > #services.LoggingService.system.file.size=268288
> > > services.LoggingService.system.file.backups=5
> > >
> > > The extremely small file.size setting should result in all 5 backup
> files
> > > being
> > > created immediately when the web app is started.  The commented out
> > > file.size represents a more realistic value.
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > >
> > > Scott

:)

Re: Log rolling