Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk> on 2013/07/22 19:44:19 UTC

[GSoc2013 Dishara] Readme

Hi Dishara,

Could you add a README.txt at the same level as the pom.xml to tell someone
what they need to do to build the project. I see its missing and you
obviously need to have setup a cassandra server.

It doesn't need to be targeted at a novice user, just enough information to
allow someone who knows what they are doing to set up the environment.

eg: (this is just and example of what the readme might contain)
"
Setup:
1. You will need to be running a cassandra instance of verison x.x or later
on port 3045, see [1] for details
2. Run ./tools/populate.sh to populate cassandra with sample data.

1 [link to cassandra quick start]
"

Thanks

Best Regards
Ian

Re: [GSoc2013 Dishara] Readme

Posted by Dishara Wijewardana <dd...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 11:14 PM, Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Dishara,
>
> Could you add a README.txt at the same level as the pom.xml to tell
> someone what they need to do to build the project. I see its missing and
> you obviously need to have setup a cassandra server.

+1, I will add it and commit it .

--
Thanks
/Dishara

Re: [GSoc2013 Dishara] Readme

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
On 23 July 2013 08:55, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 7:44 PM, Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk> wrote:
> > ...Setup:
> > 1. You will need to be running a cassandra instance of verison x.x or
> later
> > on port 3045, see [1] for details
> > 2. Run ./tools/populate.sh to populate cassandra with sample data....
>
> IMO, providing a vagrant box to start cassandra would be useful to
> allow for quick testing - see [1] for an example of that.
>
> -Bertrand
>
> [1] https://github.com/bdelacretaz/terye/tree/master/vagrant/hbase

Very nice idea, there is already a vagrant box[2] for a 3 node Cassandra
cluster that might be a good starting point.

2. https://github.com/calebgroom/vagrant-cassandra

Re: [GSoc2013 Dishara] Readme

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,