Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Brodie Thiesfield <bt...@guiltfree.com.au> on 2000/02/09 01:22:03 UTC

Auto recompiling modified beans

Linux, Red Hat 6.1
Tomcat 3.1M1

We are developing a web application with JSP and java beans with tomcat.
We've noticed that after we have modified the bean code we need to restart
tomcat to get it to use the new code.

Is there any way to encourage tomcat to recompile beans when they change
like it does JSP?
Similarly, if we have JSP pages that include other JSP pages, is there any
way to get it to look at the modification date of the included JSP pages as
well as the main JSP page?

We're getting sick of having to restart tomcat everytime.

Brodie.

--
Brodie Thiesfield
bthiesfield@guiltfree.com.au

Re: Auto recompiling modified beans

Posted by Danno Ferrin <sh...@earthlink.net>.
known issue, servlet and class reloading has not been implemented into
tomcat yet.  This is on the feature list for 3.1 final.  An initial revision
should get released into the M2 build late next week to early the week
after.  It should be in the release in March.

Also, it likely will not explicitly do the recompilation of the beans
(unless the java file live in WEB-INF/classes and javac has that in the
"-classpath").  If this works, it is thoughourly not recommended in a
production environment because reloading tends to invalidate session values,
and the means that exist to aleviate it (keeping sessions serialized in the
server or accessing the classes via an interface outside of the reloading
repositories) take more explicit forethought.

--Danno