Posted to phoenix-dev@avalon.apache.org by Daniel Krieg <dk...@kc.rr.com> on 2002/11/07 17:18:13 UTC

.xinfo dependencies

Due to a lack of documentation regarding the BlockInfo file, I apologetically post this question.
If I declare the following dependency in .xinfo...

<dependency>
    <role>org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.http.channels.Processor/Http11</role>
    <service name="org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.http.channels.Processor"/>
</dependency>

would I then locate this component from ServiceManager as follows?

processor = (Processor) m_serviceManager.lookup(Processor.ROLE + "/Http11");

Re: .xinfo dependencies

Posted by Daniel Krieg <dk...@kc.rr.com>.

> > <dependency>

<role>org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.http.channels.Processor/Http11<
/role>
> >     <service
name="org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.http.channels.Processor"/>
> > </dependency>
>
> I haven't found this service in the cornerstone cvs. Is this something
> you are currently developing? Sounds interesting, can you tell me more
> about it?
>
> Ulrich
I am using Tomcat as a model to create a set of services for Phoenix so that
we can assemble the blocks into a truly component-oriented Servlet
container.
I have made some contributions to the Sevak Catalina project but these were
to merely launch Tomcat as an embedded service within Phoenix.  I wanted
to implement the above mentioned service by wrapping Tomcat's
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor but found that due to Tomcat's
design, I must swallow the entire "plate of spagetti" or not even take a
bite ; )

As such I would like to gradually implement my own components and
contribute them to Cornerstone.

Re: .xinfo dependencies

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

Re: .xinfo dependencies

Posted by Daniel Krieg <dk...@kc.rr.com>.
>> Due to a lack of documentation regarding the BlockInfo file, I
>> apologetically post this question. If I declare the following dependency
in
>> .xinfo...
>>
>> <dependency>

<role>org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.http.channels.Processor/Http11
>></role> <service
>> name="org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.http.channels.Processor"/>
>> </dependency>
>>
>> would I then locate this component from ServiceManager as follows?
>>
>> processor = (Processor) m_serviceManager.lookup(Processor.ROLE +
>> "/Http11");
>
>If Processor.ROLE was equal to either;
>
>* "org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.http.channels.Processor"
>* Processor.class.getName()
Yes.  Then to followup, what is the relationship between .xinfo role and the
<provide> in assembly.xml?
Could I not simply drop the role from .xinfo because could I not do the
following?

<block class="...Http11Processor" name="processor-11"/>
<block class="...Http10Processor" name="processor-10"/>

<block class="...Http11Protocol" name="http">
        <provide role="...Processor/Http11" name="processor-11"/>
        <provide role="...Processor/Http10" name="processor-10"/>
</block>

...thus providing two Processor implementations by role?

Re: .xinfo dependencies

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 8 Nov 2002 03:18, Daniel Krieg wrote:
> Due to a lack of documentation regarding the BlockInfo file, I
> apologetically post this question. If I declare the following dependency in
> .xinfo...
>
> <dependency>
>
> <role>org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.http.channels.Processor/Http11
></role> <service
> name="org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.http.channels.Processor"/>
> </dependency>
>
> would I then locate this component from ServiceManager as follows?
>
> processor = (Processor) m_serviceManager.lookup(Processor.ROLE +
> "/Http11");

If Processor.ROLE was equal to either;

* "org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.http.channels.Processor"
* Processor.class.getName()

then yep.

--
Cheers,