Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mason Meier <ma...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/08 23:51:15 UTC

Tomcat memory growth while using TLS

Hello,

I'm running Tomcat-8.5 with TLS and I've noticed substantial memory growth
with requests over time, to the point that if I run Tomcat in Docker and
make constant requests to it, Docker will kill the container due to
excessive memory utilization. The problem occurs with standalone Tomcat as
well. Over the course of millions of requests, the memory usage of the
Tomcat process grows continuously, seemingly without bound.

I've done a fair amount of testing on AWS EC2 instances and some local
machines, and here are my observations:
  * 'org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.OpenSSLImplementation' seems to
increase memory utilization more quickly and consistently than
'org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSEImplementation'. The
JSSEImplementation doesn't cause the memory to grow in certain setups.
  * Limiting the heap size of the JVM does not affect the amount of memory
consumed
  * Other than decreasing a small amount (presumably due to garbage
collection), memory utilization stays consistent after the flow of requests
is stopped

My testing consists of:
1. Installing brand new versions of everything
2. Generating a certificate
3. Changing my server.xml to the one shown below
4. Replacing 'webapps/ROOT/index.jsp' with a shorter payload
5. Starting Tomcat
6. Making millions of parallel requests from a different computer and
watching Tomcat's memory utilization grow

Is there anything in my 'server.xml' that would be cause for concern? Are
there any known memory leaks in Tomcat's OpenSSL implementation? What steps
can I take to debug this problem?

Versions:
Tomcat - apache-tomcat-8.5.37
Java - JDK-1.8u191
OpenSSL - openssl-1.0.2q
APR - apr-1.6.5
Tomcat Native - tomcat-native-1.2.19
OS - Amazon Linux release 2 (Karoo)
uname -a - Linux 4.14.77-81.59.amzn2.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Nov 12 21:32:48 UTC
2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Here is my 'server.xml' file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener" />
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener"
SSLEngine="on" />
  <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.core.JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener" />
  <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener" />
  <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.core.ThreadLocalLeakPreventionListener" />

  <Service name="Catalina">
    <Connector protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"

 sslImplementationName="org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.OpenSSLImplementation"
           port="8443"
           SSLEnabled="true" scheme="https" secure="true"
           keystoreFile="server.keystore" keystorePass="<REDACTED>"
           clientAuth="optional" sslProtocol="TLS"/>
      <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
            unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">
directory="logs"
               prefix="localhost_access_log" suffix=".txt"
               pattern="%h %l %u %t &quot;%r&quot; %s %b" />
      </Host>
    </Engine>
  </Service>
</Server>

Thanks,
Mason

Re: Tomcat memory growth while using TLS

Posted by "info@flyingfischer.ch" <in...@flyingfischer.ch>.
Am 09.01.19 um 11:14 schrieb Mark Thomas:
> On 08/01/2019 23:51, Mason Meier wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm running Tomcat-8.5 with TLS and I've noticed substantial memory growth
>> with requests over time, to the point that if I run Tomcat in Docker and
>> make constant requests to it, Docker will kill the container due to
>> excessive memory utilization. The problem occurs with standalone Tomcat as
>> well. Over the course of millions of requests, the memory usage of the
>> Tomcat process grows continuously, seemingly without bound.
> I've behaviour like this in the past. From memory there was some caching
> in the TLS implementation at the root of most of it that could be
> controlled with some system properties.
>
> It may be you are seeing the same thing. Or you may have found a memory
> leak. The next step would be to use a profiler to see where the memory
> is being used.
>
>> I've done a fair amount of testing on AWS EC2 instances and some local
>> machines, and here are my observations:
>>   * 'org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.OpenSSLImplementation' seems to
>> increase memory utilization more quickly and consistently than
>> 'org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSEImplementation'. The
>> JSSEImplementation doesn't cause the memory to grow in certain setups.
> Can you share some configs that demonstrate an issue and some that
> don't. That might help narrow down what is going on.
>
> Mark

We do also see frequent OOM memories with the latest Tomcat versions.
Free memory shrinks to a critical value. With previous versions this
behaviour was not here. However, we use a limited machine and I need to
investigate further.

Markus

Re: Tomcat memory growth while using TLS

Posted by John Dale <jc...@gmail.com>.
I love it when a memory leak bites the dust .. it's a great feeling to
extend process life.

Fixed one yesterday in a capture/encode buffer of my mp3 streamer.

Kudos, Mark!

:)

John

Posted by "info@flyingfischer.ch" <in...@flyingfischer.ch>.
Am 11.01.19 um 18:23 schrieb Mark Thomas:
> Found it.
>
> The leak impacted NIO and NIO2 when used with OpenSSL.
>
> The bug is in Tomcat Native. I have a fix that I am currently testing.
> That fix should be in the next Tomcat Native release.
>
> For those interested in the technical details, Tomcat Native allocates
> some Native memory to track various attributes of each connection.
>
> In APR/Native this memory is allocated from a new APR memory pool that
> is associated with the connection. When the connection closes, the pool
> is destroyed and the memory freed. All is good.
>
> In NIO[2]+OpenSSL the per connection memory was allocated from the APR
> memory pool associated with the Connector so the memory was not released
> until the Connector was stopped. The fix is to create a pool per
> connection and use that for the per connection allocations. With a fix
> to do that in place, memory use is now broadly static under extended TLS
> load.
>
> Mark

Thanks Mark!

Re: Tomcat memory growth while using TLS

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> Mark,
>
> On 1/11/19 13:50, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 11/01/2019 17:31, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>> Mark,

>>> Nice work.
>>>
>>> I think you can file this under "stuff we knew might be a
>>> problem" and was the reason we were considering
>>> reference-counting, etc. to make sure we didn't leak
>>> *connections*. Here, the connection was cleaned-up, but some of
>>> the associated data wasn't being cleaned from a shared cache. Do
>>> I have that right?
>
>> Yes. The cache in this case was a memory pool. Think of it as
>> managed malloc. You can destroy pool and clean up all the memory
>> allocated through it without having to call free on each of the
>> individual allocations. It was a tcn_ssl_ctxt_t structure that
>> wasn't being released. It is a collection of 4 pointers so it
>> wasn't too big but one for every connection mounts up over time.
>
> Does this affect all versions of Tomcat where JSSE+OpenSSL are in use?
> Sounds like it would.

Yes. The bug (and the fix) were entirely in Tomcat Native.

On the plus side, it means only Tomcat Native needs to be updated to get
the fix.

Mark

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 10/01/2019 17:31, John.E.Gregg@wellsfargo.com wrote:

<snip/>

> The first troubleshooting step should be to take a heap dump and analyze it with a tool like Eclipse MAT.

If you read the entire thread you will see that I have already done
that. The Java Heap (in fact all the JVM managed pools) were static
whilst overall memory was growing. That points to a native memory leak
that no Java profiler is going be able to find the root cause.

I also tried various native memory leak detectors but the combination of
the noise from the JVM and the performance impact meant the output was
not useful.

> I don't know anything about the OpenSSL implementation, but it probably has a session cache.  Is there an upper limit on the cache size?  The JSSE cache size is unlimited by default, I think, and objects only expire from the cache after 1 day.

Given that the APR/native connector is not affected but the NIO is, that
points to something other than the SSL session cache (since the
configuration is the same between the two). Again this was mentioned
earlier in the thread.

> When a client connects, if it already has a session id from a previous handshake, it will ask the server to resume the session.  If it happens to connect to the same server, it will probably get to reuse the existing (cached) session.  If not, then a new session is created and cached.  If you have a lot of servers behind a load balancer with no stickiness, then the session reuse will not be high.  For example, if you have 2 servers, you're only going to get 50% reuse.  If you have 100 servers, only 1% reuse!  )-:  The lower the session reuse rate, the more orphaned sessions there are sitting on the server.
>
> Mark, in your test if you were connecting from the same client to the same server over and over, you probably used the same session over and over, so you wouldn't see much session cache growth, if any.

Indeed.  Which, given that the memory usage is growing, is further
evidence that the session cache is not part of it.

I'm currently looking at the Tomcat Native Library and written some
simple tests that mimic TLS connection setup in a tight loop. These
tests also exhibit native memory leaks.

I've just tracked down one leak although it is a relatively small one.
Next steps are to fix that leak and then find the next one. And then repeat.

Mark

RE: Tomcat memory growth while using TLS

Posted by Jo...@wellsfargo.com.INVALID.
Mason, Mark, etc...

Mark, in your test if you were connecting from the same client to the same server over and over, you probably used the same session over and over, so you wouldn't see much session cache growth, if any.  I'm not sure of a way to tell the client or server to not reuse sessions for testing purposes.  Even round-robining across only 2 servers would be more realistic because the first handshake will result in session 123, then the second (to the other server) would result in session 456 (because the second server doesn't know anything about session 123,) then the third might be to the same server as the first, but by then the client has forgotten about session 123 and tries to resume 456, which doesn't exist on the first server, so you now get session 789 created, and so forth.

John

Re: Tomcat memory growth while using TLS

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.