Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Ahmed Mohombe <am...@yahoo.com> on 2005/01/25 20:20:23 UTC

[VFS] Roadmap or status?

Hi,

Is there a roadmap for Commmons-vfs? I couldn't find any on the Jakarta
site.
Does anyone knows what's the status of the project? (it was a long time
in the "Sandbox" :) ).

Thanks in advance,

Ahmed.

Re: [VFS] Roadmap or status?

Posted by Ahmed Mohombe <am...@yahoo.com>.
> I plan to take a look what it needs to take this step in a couple of weeks.
Now that's really good news :).

> The time where I come to VFS this decision was already done, though I
> have to admit I never heard of j2ssh.

> Whats the main difference between those libraries?
I'm not SSH expert, but most of projects I've seen use j2ssh.
Unfortunately, it's no more under active development, but very stable,
and has very good javadocs: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sshtools

Jsch might be good , but if one compare the sources... - (they look
awfull IMHO). It's still very unstable IMHO.

I for one, wasn't able to integrate Jsch in a project in 24h, but j2ssh
took me only 2 hours.

Ahmed.

Re: [VFS] Roadmap or status?

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hello!
>> The status is: It is stable.
> Cool. What does it stop to step out of the "sandbox" (so that
> everybody takes it more seriously :) )?
I plan to take a look what it needs to take this step in a couple of weeks.
>> Currently there is a discussion about locking/transaction. And maybe
>> the ANT tasks need some rework too (e.g. file-system configuration).
> Some more examples on how to use the it would be really nice.
I know ... I really need to rework the homepage :-(
> Regarding Sftp Provider: Jsch is used. Is there a reason why this
> framework was used an not j2ssh ?
The time where I come to VFS this decision was already done, though I
have to admit I never heard of j2ssh.
Whats the main difference between those libraries?

---
Mario

Re: [VFS] Roadmap or status?

Posted by Ahmed Mohombe <am...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,
Thank you for the information.

Re: [VFS] Roadmap or status?

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Ahmed Mohombe wrote:
> Is there a roadmap for Commmons-vfs? I couldn't find any on the
> Jakarta site.
No roadmap, just a todo-list (with more or less important things)
> Does anyone knows what's the status of the project? (it was a long
> time in the "Sandbox" :) ).
The status is: It is stable. I use it in our project as java.io.File
replacement and have had no difficult problems for now.
Currently thre is only slow development (and then in "bursts" ;-).