Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Deron Eriksson <jo...@codestrategies.com> on 2009/02/12 12:07:07 UTC

New Maven Respository Search Application

I'd like to announce our new Maven repository search application called
Jarvana that features searching for classes, artifacts, and content. In
addition to project dependency information, class search results include
links to relevant source code and javadocs when available. Class and
artifact search results include links to a 'POM inspector' and the relevant
archive file, which can be drilled into online. Plugin information is
displayed when available. Content searches can be broken down into different
areas (html, java, xml, etc) and include a 'Highlighter' feature similar to
Google's 'Cached' results highlighting.

The main page is available at:
http://www.jarvana.com

The application features a repository browser that has shortcut links and
allows for sorting based on a variety of characteristics such as the number
of folders, directories, and archives within folders.
http://www.jarvana.com/jarvana/browse

The browser 'Archive Details' view sums up statistics about all of the files
in all of the archives. These results are also sortable.
http://www.jarvana.com/jarvana/browse?d=y&path=&by=&order=

We also just added a 'Digest Generator and Checker' tool that generates MD5
and SHA1 digests for an uploaded file and checks to see if those digests
exist in the repository. This tool can be found here:
http://www.jarvana.com/jarvana/more

Jarvana is still a work in progress so UI and functionality changes are
quite likely to occur in the near future. Questions, comments, and
constructive criticism are always welcome!

Deron Eriksson
Code Strategies

RE: New Maven Respository Search Application

Posted by "Edelson, Justin" <Ju...@mtvstaff.com>.
This use case is already met by Nexus (and, I assume, other repository
managers).

For example, go to http://repository.sonatype.org/ and search for a
class name.

Now, the results could be better in that you should be able to drill
into a library and see the fully-qualified class names contained in that
artifact. You should also be able to see various bits of project
metadata (see https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/NEXUS-221 for my
original request for this).

The advantage a MRM has in this situation is the one alluded to in your
next to last sentence (and my original question about Jarvana). It would
be nice if Central had everything, but we all know it doesn't. Using an
indexed repository manager gives you this same search capability across
multiple public repositories as well as your internal repositories.

Justin Edelson
VP, Applications & Platforms
MTV Networks Digital

Posted by Lee Meador <le...@leemeador.com>.
Eugene,

Posted by Eugene Kuleshov <eu...@md.pp.ru>.

Posted by Deron Eriksson <jo...@codestrategies.com>.
Hello Eugene,

Thank you for the question about Jarvana's purpose.

Jarvana's raison d’être (Jarvana was conceived one August evening in Nice,
France) is that I wanted a web-based application that would let me search
for classes in the maven repo and get their dependency information. I also
wanted to have links to source code and javadocs (if available) and to be
able to view these online. Several web-based maven repo search tools exist,
but Nexus is the only other online tool that I've seen that offers class
searching. Nexus currently doesn't offer viewable souce code and javadoc
links (that I'm aware of), and these are things that I find useful when I am
trying to figure out what a class does. This capability seemed useful, so I
became motivated to share this functionality with the world. Since you
mentioned it, I would love to see source code and javadocs via m2eclipse,
although I don't know how other people feel. I would especially like it if I
could preview source code/javadocs for a class with m2eclipse before
deciding to download a jar and use it in my project.

Every once in a while I have a need to see what's in an archive file. If
there are javadocs, source code, or images in a jar file, I'd prefer to
scroll through such content online if I happen to be in a web browser.
Although Jarvana does this, class and artifact searching is far more useful
to most people than this feature. Jarvana is first and foremost a search
engine.

Jarvana takes a very hyperlinked/web 1.0 approach to searching. It allows
people to search for classes, artifacts, and content. When search results
are returned, it tries to link to relevant information (project dependency,
source code, javadoc, plugin goals, etc). Web browsers have a lot of
limitations, but they are great for hyperlinking.

Jarvana was a chance to learn how to write a Java-based search engine (in
the process we gained a great respect and appreciation for the work that
Doug Cutting and other developers have done on the Lucene project). It
seemed that no one had done a really in-depth indexing of the maven repo, so
we wrote Jarvana. It's kind of like mapping the human genome. Once you map
it, you can do interesting things with it. The Jarvana indexes are huge, but
no one besides the Jarvana web app interacts with these indexes, so
criticism of the large indexes really doesn't make much sense to me. They
are large so we can provide new, intrinsically different search
capabilities. We will probably add new interesting types of searches in the
future if we find the time and motivation to do so.

Many times, I've tried to explain to other developers the benefits of
adopting Maven for project management. But some people seem opposed to
Maven, and maybe sometimes they have situations that justify that
opposition. They are free to adopt other technologies that might be a better
fit for them. Likewise, some people might find Jarvana to be a silly little
search engine, so they never need to use it, but a few others might find it
to be useful. Jarvana isn't the first maven repo search tool and I'm sure it
won't be the last. However, I believe that variety is good when it comes to
software (operating systems, build tools, search engines, etc), and I think
our little search engine is a sign of a growing, healthy maven community. If
nothing else, it's been a great learning experience.

Keep up the great work with m2eclipse. I really think it is opening up maven
to thousands of new developers and making their (and our) lives easier.

Take care,
Deron Eriksson

Posted by Eugene Kuleshov <eu...@md.pp.ru>.
Deron,

Posted by Deron Eriksson <jo...@codestrategies.com>.

Justin Edelson wrote:

> Does this only index Central?

Hi Justin,
Yes, currently only central gets indexed, but in the future I'd like to add
support for multiple repositories.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.