Posted to graffito-dev@incubator.apache.org by Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/05 01:55:36 UTC

portlet "content" mode prototype

hi,

  I made a prototype of a wysiwyg portlet on top of jcr that allows to
 version the content.  It's just a prototype of what I consider a
portlet "content" mode should have, e.g. versioning, locking, tagging,
audit, event notification, metadata. e.g. dublin core, i18n a portlet
root per locale, publishing (staging) & other workflow processes.

The versioning GUI is available in edit mode as a menu that invoke
remote dialogs powered by dojo javascipt toolkit. The portlet allows
the user to edit the html, make the html versionable, checkin,
checkout and restore a version. I didn't configure the webdav servlet,
but it should be pretty easy.

In the prototype a content portlet (i.e. wysiwyg portlet) must inherit
a superclass that creates the portlet root node and adds a menu in
edit mode. btw, is there any extension mechanism to add new portlet
modes in jetspeed?

download from:
http://people.apache.org/~edgarpoce/graffito-jcr-portlets-1.0.war
http://people.apache.org/~edgarpoce/graffito-jcr-portlets.tar.gz

the war is self contained, just drop it in j2 and it should work. it
creates a jackrabbit repository at /tmp/jackrabbit. It was tested in
ubuntu, firefox, java5, jetspeed 2.0 installer with derby embedded.

br,
edgar

Re: portlet "content" mode prototype

Posted by Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com>.
sincere apologies for the loss of time, It seems I modified the jsp
inside eclipse and didn't make a new build before uploading the war
:(.

I'll upload a new version in a couple of minutes.

It's a missing cast in
WEB-INF/jsp/cms/info.jsp:
<%= response.encodeUrl(
					renderRequest.getContextPath() +
					(String) renderRequest.getAttribute(AbstractJcrPortlet.WEBDAV_PREFIX_KEY) +
					(String) renderRequest.getAttribute(AbstractJcrPortlet.PORTLET_ROOT_PATH_KEY)
				)%>">

Posted by Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com>.
On 9/21/06, Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Edgar,
>
> Did you already uploaded the new war ?
> still the same problem here.

Unfortunately I don't have access right now to a pc with a public ip.
I'll configure tomorrow for you to access.

However, I don't know why you still get that error. it's weird, the
only java code (please check it) in info.jsp is the snippet bellow
(try to remove it if still fails), and  I don't think it's possible to
throw the same exception than before.

<%= response.encodeUrl(
                                       renderRequest.getContextPath() +
                                       (String)
renderRequest.getAttribute(AbstractJcrPortlet.WEBDAV_PREFIX_KEY) +
                                       (String)
renderRequest.getAttribute(AbstractJcrPortlet.PORTLET_ROOT_PATH_KEY)
                               )%>

exception:

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com>.
Edgar,

Posted by Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com>.
Here is the error in the log.

Posted by Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Evangelos Vlachogiannis <ev...@aegean.gr>.

Posted by Evangelos Vlachogiannis <ev...@aegean.gr>.

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com>.
Hi christope,

On 9/21/06, Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi edgar,
>
> I just deployed the portlet war and it works.
> I'm not sure it is the most recent one. I have not all features
> (check-in check-out, ...).

versioning is available in the three versions I uploaded, in the first
version it was available in a menu in edit mode, and in the latest,
which is available at http://people.apache.org/~edgarpoce/graffito/,
it's available as a tab in help mode.

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi edgar,

Posted by Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@gmail.com>.

--
Philip Donaghy
Skype: philipmarkdonaghy

Re: portlet "content" mode prototype

Posted by Torgeir Veimo <to...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 9/21/06, Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried the wysiwyg portlet out, this is one of the best portlets I
> have ever seen.

nice to hear you like it :)

> I'm  looking forward to collaborating with you.

It would be great to collaborate to move it forward.

> checked back for the source but it's gone, sniff .`(

 try to downoad it from http://people.apache.org/~edgarpoce/graffito/.

br,
edgar

Posted by Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@gmail.com>.

--
Philip Donaghy
Skype: philipmarkdonaghy

Re: portlet "content" mode prototype

Posted by Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

  I made a few changes to the prototype, I added webdav support.
I plan to start to work on the integration to the portal site
hierarchy and on adding a new custom portlet mode (content mode) to
the portlet as soon as I figure out how to do it ;), help is
appreciated.

download the war from:
http://people.apache.org/~edgarpoce/graffito-jcr-portlets-1.0.war

and the sources from:
http://people.apache.org/~edgarpoce/graffito-jcr-portlets.tar.gz

the file based webdav servlet can be found at
http://localhost:8080/graffito-jcr-portlets-1.0/repository/default/.
Now, the html can be edited either from the portal or via webdav.

Posted by Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com>.
On 9/6/06, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm not sure :(, I think I read in jackrabbit mailing list that it was
> > the right way to go but I didn't investigate further. It was just a
> > quick fix to make it work. with java 2 jackrabbit worked without
> > problems, but in java 5 those libraries were removed and some problems
> > araised.
>
> Not having looked at the issue here I'm not sure if the same thing
> applies. Just reacting to Edgar's comment. :-)

just for the record, I meant a quick fix from my side because I wasn't
sure why I needed to add those libraries.

br,
edgar

Posted by Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com>.
On 9/6/06, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 9/6/06, Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 9/6/06, David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> wrote:
> > > Wondering why the two jars must go in endorsed directly, and not in the
> > > WEB-INF/lib directory.
> >
> > I'm not sure :(, I think I read in jackrabbit mailing list that it was
> > the right way to go but I didn't investigate further. It was just a
> > quick fix to make it work. with java 2 jackrabbit worked without
> > problems, but in java 5 those libraries were removed and some problems
> > araised.
>
> See http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-46 for the background.
> Java 5 uses the core classloader to load the TransformerFactory
> implementation specified in the javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory
> property. This is why the class needs to be in the endorsed directory
> instead of the normal classpath location if you want to use another
> transformer than the one included by default in Java 5. For Jackrabbit
> the problem was that our XSL transformation was using features not
> included in the default compiling transformer implementation in Java
> 5.
>
> Not having looked at the issue here I'm not sure if the same thing
> applies. Just reacting to Edgar's comment. :-)

I think it does apply, thanks for the info.

br,
edgar

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com>.
Hi David

On 9/6/06, David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> wrote:
> Edgar Poce wrote:
> > hi ruchi,
> >
> >  I forgot to mention that I had to add a couple of libraries to the
> > tomcat version included in the jetspeed distribution in order to run
> > jackrabbit with java5.
> >
> > try the following:
> >
> > 1. remove every file under /tmp/jackrabbit. once jackrabbit fails to
> > create a repository in a directory it will keep until you delete its
> > contents.
> >
> > 2. download xalan and serializer.jar and put them under
> > /jetspeed_installation/common/endorsed.
> >
> > 3. start jetspeed and have fun :)
> >
> > I've just tested it in a windows box and it works.
> >
> > br,
> > edgar
> >

> I had the  same stacktrace as Ruchi
> Not sure which versions of xalan and 'serializer' you recommending

it works with the latest release, xalan.jar and serializer.jar are
both included in the xalan distribution.

> Wondering why the two jars must go in endorsed directly, and not in the
> WEB-INF/lib directory.

I'm not sure :(, I think I read in jackrabbit mailing list that it was
the right way to go but I didn't investigate further. It was just a
quick fix to make it work. with java 2 jackrabbit worked without
problems, but in java 5 those libraries were removed and some problems
araised.

> Could you upload your versions of the jars for us, thanks!

you can download it from
http://www.apache.org/dist/xml/xalan-j/xalan-j_2_7_0-bin.zip

Rememeber to remove every file in /tmp/jackrabbit before trying to
start jetspeed again.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Posted by Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com>.
On 9/5/06, Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I added more
> logging in a new version I deployed that would help to see the cause,
> try the new war.

it should say

Posted by Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com>.
Hi

First of all take into account that it's just a prototype, it's not
intended for use out of the box :)

On 9/5/06, ruchi goel <Ru...@sun.com> wrote:
> Looks like this is internally using derby because I can login to see
> graffito portlets working  in jetspeed portal.

The prototype uses jackrabbit to store the html.

> Any pointers ?

I think that the repository could not be initiated. I added more
logging in a new version I deployed that would help to see the cause,
try the new war.
Note that the jackrabbit repository is created under /tmp/jackrabbit,
so please make sure that the user who runs jetspeed has write access
to that directory.

br,
edgar

Posted by ruchi goel <Ru...@Sun.COM>.
Edgar Poce wrote:

> hi,
>
>  I made a prototype of a wysiwyg portlet on top of jcr that allows to
> version the content.  It's just a prototype of what I consider a
> portlet "content" mode should have, e.g. versioning, locking, tagging,
> audit, event notification, metadata. e.g. dublin core, i18n a portlet
> root per locale, publishing (staging) & other workflow processes.
>
> The versioning GUI is available in edit mode as a menu that invoke
> remote dialogs powered by dojo javascipt toolkit. The portlet allows
> the user to edit the html, make the html versionable, checkin,
> checkout and restore a version. I didn't configure the webdav servlet,
> but it should be pretty easy.
>
> In the prototype a content portlet (i.e. wysiwyg portlet) must inherit
> a superclass that creates the portlet root node and adds a menu in
> edit mode. btw, is there any extension mechanism to add new portlet
> modes in jetspeed?
>
> download from:
> http://people.apache.org/~edgarpoce/graffito-jcr-portlets-1.0.war
> http://people.apache.org/~edgarpoce/graffito-jcr-portlets.tar.gz
>
> the war is self contained, just drop it in j2 and it should work. it
> creates a jackrabbit repository at /tmp/jackrabbit. It was tested in
> ubuntu, firefox, java5, jetspeed 2.0 installer with derby embedded.

This sounds very nice. I deployed this to jetspeed. I have configured
jetspeed + graffito  to use Mysql.
The portlet  fails to display content .
Error:
java.lang.NullPointerException
       at org.apache.graffito.jcr.JcrHelper.login(JcrHelper.java:22)
       at
org.apache.graffito.jcr.AbstractJcrPortlet.getUserSession(AbstractJcr
Portlet.java:138)
       at
org.apache.graffito.jcr.wysiwyg.WysiwygPortlet.getHtml(WysiwygPortlet
.java:125)
       at
org.apache.graffito.jcr.wysiwyg.WysiwygPortlet.doView(WysiwygPortlet.
java:86)
       at javax.portlet.GenericPortlet.doDispatch(GenericPortlet.java:247)
       at javax.portlet.GenericPortlet.render(GenericPortlet.java:175)
       at
org.apache.jetspeed.factory.JetspeedPortletInstance.render(JetspeedPo
rtletInstance.java:102)
       at
org.apache.jetspeed.container.JetspeedContainerServlet.doGet(Jetspeed
ContainerServlet.java:230)

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com>.
Edgar,

Thanks for the clarifications.

> Running the process is responsability of the BPM engine, the jcr
> implementation wouldn't be responsible of running the process, it
> would be responsible only of storing the process definitions and
> process instances.

Yes I know but when you are coming in some states, the BPM engine can
start automatically some scripts. So, I was just wondering what kind
of API we can use.

> > > great!. btw, It's probably a good example for trying to integrate both
> > > approaches.
> > >
> > the approach is quite different. We are using the Graffito API.
> >

> btw, the graffito api will be extended with workflow capabilities?

Yes. This is just a prototype with a very simple workflow API.

> what engine, if any, are you using in the contribution?.

By default it uses Osworkflow for mainly licence issues and it is a
easy workflow engine.
if possible, I would like to give the flexibilty to plug any kind of
workflow engine.
JPBM is very interesting but I'm not sure that we can use it in the
ASF due to some licence issues. We can review this point.

--
Best regards,

Christophe

Re: portlet "content" mode prototype

Posted by Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com>.
On 9/5/06, Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/5/06, Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 9/5/06, Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > If Graffito provides a support for managing JCR nodes and an High
> > > level content object model (which can be customized), how can we
> > > define some services like Workflow, publishing, ... ? In theory,
> > > thoses services needs to implement some process based on content
> > > objects.
> > > I think it will not be possible to support both approach. What do you
> > > think about that ?
> >
> > Maybe there can be an integration if
> > 1. the workflow is serialized in the repository,
> > 2. the semantics of its node types is publicly known (e.g. scxml)
> > 3. and the repository garantees, by securing the content, that the
> > process will be respected,
> >

> * What if a workflow process required multiple repositories ? In you
> case, you will certainly use only one content repo but the worfklow
> service have to work with multpiple content repo (JCR based or not).

A first level of integration would be on process definitions. What I'm
trying to say is that as long as process definitions are stored in the
repository with public semantics, any client can create new process
definition via graffito api, a "content" portlet (as the wysiwyg
prototype), webdav, etc.

A second level of integration would be to store process instances in
the repository. Local and remote clients could create a new process
instance, or take a running process instance, acquire a lock on it,
and signal the process. The process logic can modify one repository,
many, or none. The API of the workflow depends on the engine, I mean
that  the BPM framework would be responsible of running the processes.

> * What if we are not using a JCR store ?
> * When you are moving into a specific workflow state, you may run some
> code to manage the content (move a content, delete, update, ...). How
> to do it (with the JCR API or the Graffito API ?

I evaluated a couple of workflows for my daily job an I use JBPM
pretty much. AFAIK, in any BPM engine, it doesn't matter whether
actions in transitions modify jcr nodes, graffito objects, send mails,
or whatever.

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com>.
On 9/5/06, Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If Graffito provides a support for managing JCR nodes and an High
> level content object model (which can be customized), how can we
> define some services like Workflow, publishing, ... ? In theory,
> thoses services needs to implement some process based on content
> objects.
> I think it will not be possible to support both approach. What do you
> think about that ?

Maybe there can be an integration if
1. the workflow is serialized in the repository,
2. the semantics of its node types is publicly known (e.g. scxml)
3. and the repository garantees, by securing the content, that the
process will be respected,

then the content under a process and the process itself can be edited
by any client that have access to the repository, just like any other
type of content.

>  I think the JCR browser should be limited to the
> JCR features defined in the spec.

the prototype is not the jcr browser, it would be a nice addition to
have it but I think the portal itself is the main way to navigate the
contents. The prototype is a content portlet. By a content portlet I
mean a portlet that integrates to the portal hierarchy by using a node
to store its contents, a node whose parent is the fragment of type
"portlet", which is child of a psml. In the prototype the superclass
passes to all portlet instances the same node, in a working version it
should pass  a node that is a child of the fragment of type portlet.
Content portlets, as the wysiwyg prototype, can leverage the content
mode. See e.g. the versioning menu.

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com>.
On 9/5/06, Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
>   I made a prototype of a wysiwyg portlet on top of jcr that allows to
>  version the content.  It's just a prototype of what I consider a
> portlet "content" mode should have, e.g. versioning, locking, tagging,
> audit, event notification, metadata. e.g. dublin core, i18n a portlet
> root per locale, publishing (staging) & other workflow processes.

If Graffito provides a support for managing JCR nodes and an High
level content object model (which can be customized), how can we
define some services like Workflow, publishing, ... ? In theory,
thoses services needs to implement some process based on content
objects.

I think it will not be possible to support both approach. What do you
think about that ?  I think the JCR browser should be limited to the

--
Best regards,

Christophe

Re: portlet "content" mode prototype

Posted by Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com>.
On 9/21/06, Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I mean integrating the the
> content of the portlets inside a psml page should be childs of that
> page (see the prototype).

LOL, this is the result of reorganizing quickly a paragraph with copy and paste
for a man with poor english skills :)

Re: portlet "content" mode prototype

Posted by Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com>.
On 9/21/06, Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/21/06, Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 9/21/06, Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Compare to the existing Graffito codebase, this is completely another
> > > approach to build content portlets (100% dependent on the JCR API ).
> > >

> <snip>
> > 2. integration of portlet contents to the portal site hierarchy,
>
> I think he means provide versioning and workflow to the psml tree.
> Where as modifications can be made to a psml page and version can be
> retrieved from the persistence layer.

I mean that but also one more thing. I mean integrating the the
content of the portlets inside a psml page should be childs of that
page (see the prototype). Thus, e.g. when the psml page is versioned
all the content of the portlets contained in that page might be
versioned as well. The same for locking, staging or whatever feature I
think belongs to a portlet content mode.

> I think that this falls into a j2 admin portlet. An I also think that
> the j2 api should be used to make these modifications.

I'm not sure about this. I think the CMS logic belongs to a CMS api,
e.g. the graffito api.
personally, I'd prefer the j2 api has no knowledge of the cms
features. IMHO it would be unnecesary coupling.

br,
edgar

Posted by Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 9/21/06, Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/21/06, Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Compare to the existing Graffito codebase, this is completely another
> > approach to build content portlets (100% dependent on the JCR API ).

<snip>
> 2. integration of portlet contents to the portal site hierarchy,

I think he means provide versioning and workflow to the psml tree.
Where as modifications can be made to a psml page and version can be
retrieved from the persistence layer.

I think that this falls into a j2 admin portlet. An I also think that
the j2 api should be used to make these modifications. Here the only

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com>.
On 9/21/06, Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to make clear that I'm not in a crusade in favor of jcr. I'm
> interested in seeing the features I'm talking independently of
> implementation details. Sorry if I'm being repetitive, but my interest
> is seeing
> 1. CMS features for j2 portal site,
> 2. integration of portlet contents to the portal site hierarchy,
> 3. and a reusable portlet content mode;
> 4. a webdav interface would be cool but not strictly necessary for me.

Yes, we have the same targets.  what do you mean exactly by
"integration of portlet contents to the portal site hierarchy" ?

> That's why I'd like to know if the graffito community agress these are
> goals in the scope of graffito? and in case it's in the scope I'd like
> to know how it should be implemented. I'm open to work with other
> approaches, see my other thread about the page manager impl.

In my point of view, JCR is a nice API for the persistence layer (but
not on business logic/service layer and not on the interface layer ).
I like an application which makes abstraction on the technology to
used.
I don't know how we can provide both solutions in the Graffito project
for the same target. This project is not always clear for some people.
So supporting both approach will add more complexities to understand
our goals.

Now, it should be nice to get feedback/comments from others.

Furthermore, J2 has its own object model. Adding cms features into J2,
is it not supporting the J2 object model in a content repo in order to
have features like versionning, locking, search, ... ? Let's continue
to discuss that on  your thread abouth the page manager impl.

--
Best regards,

Christophe

Re: portlet "content" mode prototype

Posted by Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com>.
On 9/21/06, Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Compare to the existing Graffito codebase, this is completely another
> approach to build content portlets (100% dependent on the JCR API ).

As we discussed earlier, the only integration with the existing
approach would be at the repository level. I understand it's not
acceptable from a pure OO design, but IMHO it's a valid approach for a
content oriented application where the main contract is the consensus
on the semantics of the node types. IMHO applications working on top
of JCR should be ready to let other apps to modify the underlying
content bypassing the object model layer. That would allow breaking
the data silo in favor of publishing the content via multiple
interfaces.

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com>.