Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by "Wengatz, Nicole" <ni...@siemens.com> on 2007/01/19 18:20:13 UTC

OSGi Virtual Bundle Creation

Hi Joel,
>I've come to the conclusion that we need to develop some packaging
conventions
>for deploying apache functionality into OSGi. I'm aware of the Eclipse
Orbit project,
>which is providing some common packaging of Apache (and other
non-eclipse) projects
>for consumption within Eclipse.
>Is this something that Apache should be doing for itself, either on a
per-project basis,
>or under the province of a project like Felix? I believe that if we
adopt some common
>conventions, it'd make generating virtual bundles (and supporting OSGi
as an optional
>deployment target in general) a good bit easier.

I agree fully, that we have to define some conventions.
I had a look to the "Apache" bundles in the sample and found (at least)
the following different types:
1) Bundle which contains a JAR File, all packages will be exported.
Example: org.apache.commons.logging_1.1.0 Plugin

2)  Bundle which contains a JAR File and requires other bundles and has
to import packages
Examples: org.apache.neethi Plugin, org.apache.axis2 Plugin

3) Fragment Bundle which contains a JAR file, all packages will be
exported
Example: org.apache.axiom.dom Plugin

How can the OSGi Deployer/Provisioning service know, what type of
(virtual) bundle has to be created?

The next question I have is about the Tuscany Bindings. I had a look to
the OSGi
tuscany_databinding_axiom plugin. It has a required Plugin entry for
org.apache.axiom.api.
This dependency is not part of the SCDL, from where can I get this
information at virtual bundle
creation time?

Any thoughts ?

Thanks and best regards
Nicole

I've posted my OSGi sample on my people.apache.org site -
http://people.apache.org/~jhawkins/Tuscany/TuscanySample.zip
There's a readme that describes the sample and how to run it. I've also
included a snapshot of my Eclipse work area. The Tuscany binaries are
based on a synch of HEAD performed yesterday.

I've got a few things to finish up (like support for scdl imports)
before creating a patch I'd be happy with, so please bear with me.

I've come to the conclusion that we need to develop some packaging
conventions for deploying apache functionality into OSGi. I'm aware of
the Eclipse Orbit project, which is providing some common packaging of
Apache (and other non-eclipse) projects for consumption within Eclipse.
Is this something that Apache should be doing for itself, either on a
per-project basis, or under the province of a project like Felix? I
believe that if we adopt some common conventions, it'd make generating
virtual bundles (and supporting OSGi as an optional deployment target in
general) a good bit easier.

Cheers,
Joel

The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only.
It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the
named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it,
or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify
us immediately and then destroy it.