Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Tom Cat <to...@techie.com> on 2003/03/11 15:16:44 UTC

weird org.apache.struts.action does not exist

Hi, I am new to struts trying to learn something from Ted Husted's book Struts in Action.
I installed Tomcat and IBM JDK 1.4., then downloaded Ted's example application register-complete.war (which is example app on struts site too). It works fine but when I try to compile something using Struts - I am in a big trouble. I tried to recompile one of Ted's simple java files (setting CLASSPATH beforehand as this seems to be the usual cause for the proble I get, as I learned from mailinglist archives):

[root]/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/register-complete/WEB-INF/classes/app> echo $CLASSPATH
/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/register-complete/WEB-INF/lib/struts_1_0_2.jar;.;/usr/local/tomcat;/opt/IBMJava2-131/lib
[root]/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/register-complete/WEB-INF/classes/app> javac RegisterForm.java
RegisterForm.java:2: package org.apache.struts.action does not exist
import org.apache.struts.action.*;
^
RegisterForm.java:4: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class ActionForm
location: class app.RegisterForm
public class RegisterForm extends ActionForm {
                                  ^
2 errors

Somebody, please help :(

Re: weird org.apache.struts.action does not exist

Posted by Mark Lowe <ml...@officinedigitali.it>.
i'd read this
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/appdev/index.html

take the example ant project and use it as a starting point for any
java propjects you are doing.. This will save you all the messing
around with classpaths etc (you still have to set them in ant's
build.xml file however).. Go through the ant stuff to install it if you
haven't already.

You will be able to drop any jar file in /WEB-INF/lib and it be placed
in your classpath.

A few hours spent here will save a lot of time,,, This also gives you a
development envionment where source is always seperate to compiled
classes..

If you really just want to get something running now then

 > cd

 > vi .bash_profile

add

export CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:PATH_TO_STRUTS_JARS

save and exit

:wq

start a new terminal session

  cheers mark