Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com> on 2020/01/23 04:46:46 UTC

Mail to Multiple Recipients on Same Domain Being Discarded

If someone sends a single email to aaa@domain.com, bbb@domain.com,
ccc@domain.com, it is only being delivered to aaa@domain.com.  The log
shows all three recipients when the email enters the processor chain.  I
log the last step where mail is stored in a folder.  I only get an entry
for the first email address in the list.  All of the others just
disappear.  This is a serious problem for one of my clients who has an
office with many email addresses.  Emails to everyone in the office from
the boss who sends from a gmail account are only being received by one
person.

is there something I could have done in a custom mailet that could cause
this?  I don't think I'm messing with recipients.  But I guess I could
have inadvertently done something.

In general, can you give me a high level flow of how this should work?
At what point in the flow does a multi-recipient email get cloned into
individual copies for storing in the various inboxes? Is there a way to
trace that step in the logs?  Is there anything I can look at that might
give me a hint as to what is happening and how to fix it?

I'm still on the last version I got working in the fall.  It was right
at the beginning of 3.4.  So if anything has been updated in this area
since then, I'm not running on the absolute latest.

Suggestions/ideas, please....

Thanks.

Jerry

Re: Mail to Multiple Recipients on Same Domain Being Discarded

Posted by Rémi Kowalski <re...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jerry,

Your assumption with the MailDispatcher in the LocalDelivery looping over
the recipients is the good one.
There is only one mail in the mailet pipeline and it will not be split into
multiple items.
Some mailets could update the list of recipients of the Mail without
altering the original MimeMessage.

So your problem may lie in a mailet altering the list of recipients.

Cheers.

Posted by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com>.
Hi Remi,

Posted by Rémi Kowalski <re...@gmail.com>.