Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by thebugslayer <th...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/10 22:34:06 UTC

resolving/installing dependencies

Hi Geronimo users,

Is there a good way/tool to install user dependencies into $G/repository?

Thanks.

--
/bugslayer

Re: resolving/installing dependencies

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
you can mess around with the assemble goal in the car-maven-plugin
but it's kind of hard to set up right.

What I'd actually recommend is that you go to bleeding-edge geronimo
trunk and use a geronimo plugin.  If you "predeploy" your project
into a car file using the car-maven-plugin it will get a geronimo-
plugin.xml metadata file that lists all the dependencies. (actually
this is configurable in a couple ways).  Then if you install the
plugin (from your local maven repo) all the dependencies will be
installed into geronimo as well.

This also works if your geronimo plugin (car file) is at a remote
geronimo plugin repository.

Most of the plugin functionality more or less works in g. 2.0.1 but
its a lot harder to use, the xml format is not forward compatilble,
and you basically have to do everything yourself.

As I said this is bleeding edge, right now I'm working on converting
the geronimo car files to look more like plugins.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
If you export your application as a plugin then you can edit its
geronimo-plugin.xml file to specify where its dependencies are
available in a maven repo.   Then when someone else installs that
plugin Geronimo will automatically download its dependencies and
install them into their server's repo.   There is also a maven plugin
that can create a Geronimo plugin (aka .car file) from your EAR or
WAR application.  There is not much documentation available for this
right now but I can point you at some examples in SVN if  you're
interested.

Best wishes,
Paul

Posted by thebugslayer <th...@gmail.com>.