Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Georg Viehöver <vi...@sigma-c.de> on 2005/03/01 16:08:47 UTC

Query subversion for all files that have a certain property

Hi all,

Coming from the ClearCase world, I wonder if it is possible to query a subversion repository for all files that have a certain property (it is a one line command that is fairly efficient even for 10000nds of files in ClearCase). The use case that I am thinking about is to query subversion which files have been changed for a certain bug, attaching the bug number as a property to all files that have been changed in the process of fixing the bug.

I think that looking at the changes for a certain transaction is probably not sufficient: One bugfix may be done as a sequence of svn commits. Using some "find snv propget..." might be possible, but is certainly not efficient.

Any ideas? Maybe I am missing some point?

Georg

Re: Query subversion for all files that have a certain property

Posted by Rick Wagner <wa...@condor.cxo.cpqcorp.net>.
On Tuesday 01 March 2005 2:20 pm, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> Yes you are.  :-)   Subversion's commits are "packaged" into atomic
> groups already.  If a bugfix touches 14 files, then 'svn commit' will
> create a new global revision, and the bug is said to be "fixed by
> revision N".  At any time, 'svn log -v -rN' will show you the exact
> change (including list of files) that fixed the bug.  So there's no

Ideally, yes; all your fixes go into one commit.  However, things don't always
go perfectly, so it may take more than one commit to get everything checked
in and correct.  Or, suppose you have multiple developers supplying a pieces
to a multi-part fix.  Each developer checks in their components, thus
multiple checkins per fix.

This could be controlled by requiring all changes be done on their own branch,
and then the merge back is identified as the revision of the fix.  But often
developers will work fixes to multiple bugs into one module at the same time.
They would have to work the same module on multiple branches, then do
multiple merges back to the base.

Re: Query subversion for all files that have a certain property

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Mar 1, 2005, at 10:08 AM, Georg Viehöver wrote:
>  The use case that I am thinking about is to query subversion which
> files have been changed for a certain bug, attaching the bug number as
> a property to all files that have been changed in the process of
> fixing the bug.
>
> [...]
> Any ideas? Maybe I am missing some point?

Yes you are.  :-)   Subversion's commits are "packaged" into atomic
groups already.  If a bugfix touches 14 files, then 'svn commit' will
create a new global revision, and the bug is said to be "fixed by
revision N".  At any time, 'svn log -v -rN' will show you the exact
change (including list of files) that fixed the bug.  So there's no
need to remember which file-changes fixed a bug -- just remember the
name of the commit which fixed it.   That's the information you put
into the issue tracker when you close a bug.

RE: Query subversion for all files that have a certain property

Posted by Dale Worley <dw...@pingtel.com>.
> From: Georg Viehöver [mailto:viehoever@sigma-c.de]
>
> Coming from the ClearCase world, I wonder if it is possible
> to query a subversion repository for all files that have a
> certain property (it is a one line command that is fairly
> efficient even for 10000nds of files in ClearCase).

I've used "svn propget -R svn:mime-type", and it seems to be adequately
efficient.   Although I am using it on a WC.  But "svn propget -R (property)
http://root/of/repository" should work and probably only does one round-trip
to the server.

Dale