Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Cecil Westerhof <Ce...@decebal.nl> on 2011/01/19 00:40:20 UTC

Possibility to commit from 'all' systems

I just started with subversion. In /etc/sysconfig/svnserve it states:
    ## Path:	Network/Subversion/svnserve
    ## Type:	string
    ## Default	"-d -R -r /srv/svn/repos"
    #
    # default options for the svnserve process
    # it is recommended to provide only readonly access to your data.
    # there is no authentication possible, everyone can read and write at will
    # read the subversion documentation about more info
    #
    SVNSERVE_OPTIONS="-d -r /srv/svn/repos"

But this means that I can only make changes on the system svnserve is
running on. Is there a safe way to have the possibility to change the
files on 'all' systems?

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Possibility to commit from 'all' systems

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 06:46:15PM +0100, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> >> On my system (openSUSE 11) it is in:
> >> /etc/sysconfig/svnserve
> >
> > That text should be changed or removed, it is totally misleading.
> > svnserve can authenticate users in various ways.
> > See
> > 	http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.serverconfig.svnserve.html#svn.serverconfig.svnserve.auth
>
> I thought I had read something like that. ;-}
>
> I will notify the openSUSE people.

Consider them notified. I am one of the maintainers of OpenSUSE's
Subversion package. I'll try to deal with this shortly.

Stefan

Re: Possibility to commit from 'all' systems

Posted by Cecil Westerhof <Ce...@decebal.nl>.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Cecil Westerhof <Ce...@decebal.nl>.

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cecil Westerhof <Ce...@xs4all.nl>.
Op woensdag 19 jan 2011 09:40 CET schreef shrinivasan@collab.net:

>> SVNSERVE_OPTIONS="-d -r /srv/svn/repos"
>>
>> But this means that I can only make changes on the system svnserve is
>> running on. Is there a safe way to have the possibility to change the
>> files on 'all' systems?
>>

> We can commit files to the svn server. i.e where svnserve is running.
> Please explain more on what you mean by 'all' systems?

I do not know what was happening. First I could only commit on the
system the server was running on. And also only with file:///, when I
used svn:// I got a message that it was not possible. But now all
systems work. I do not know what was happening. I still have to learn
a lot, but at the moment it is less urgent.

One question remains (again not very important, because I am the only
working on it at the moment, but when it expands, I should know what I
am doing). What is mend with:
    # default options for the svnserve process
    # it is recommended to provide only readonly access to your data.
    # there is no authentication possible, everyone can read and write at will
    # read the subversion documentation about more info

--
Cecil Westerhof
M CecilWesterhof@xs4all.nl

Please do not send me Microsoft Office/Apple iWork documents.
Send OpenDocument instead! http://fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/

Re: Possibility to commit from 'all' systems

Posted by shrinivasan <sh...@collab.net>.
>      SVNSERVE_OPTIONS="-d -r /srv/svn/repos"
>
> But this means that I can only make changes on the system svnserve is
> running on. Is there a safe way to have the possibility to change the
> files on 'all' systems?

We can commit files to the svn server. i.e where svnserve is running.
Please explain more on what you mean by 'all' systems?

Regards,
Shrinivasan
CollabNet Support