Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2007/11/24 10:28:35 UTC

Is the REST plugin ready for primetime? CodeBehind?

The new REST plugin has been moved up from the Sandbox and marked
non-experimental.

Personally, I haven't used it enough to say whether it's ready for
prime time or not. (Though, I am now comfortable with the CodeBehind
plugin.)

I know that Don has put a lot of work into the REST plugin, and so I
expect that it is solid. But, non-experimental should mean that more
than one of us has actually used the component extensively, and that
at least three of us intend to support the component post-release.

Would anyone like to chime in as to whether they are using the REST
plugin, and, if a committer, whether you would intend to help support
it post-release?

I know we're planning some changes to the CodeBehind plugin, so now
would be the wrong time to mark it non-experimental, but it would also
be nice to get a better feeling of who else is using the CodeBehind
plugin, and whether you might help support it in the future.

-Ted.

Re: Is the REST plugin ready for primetime? CodeBehind?

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.
By "available", I mean there's downloads for a bunch of different web
frameworks and a number of different backends. They all use MySQL by
default - but they're implementing the same thing (CRUD on a user
table).

For most things, I implement them in AppFuse Light and then move them
to AppFuse after I've proven they work.

AppFuse Light allows using Maven and Ant (with Maven's Ant Tasks),
but it does not currently use archetypes. Since you have to create a
special directory structure and xml file for archetypes, it seemed
like a real pain to do for all 60 combinations available in AppFuse
Light. However, the good news is the ArchetypeNG plugin allows
creating archetypes from projects, so hopefully that will be released
soon and I can use it.

Matt

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by je...@blueskyminds.com.au.
I'm not a committer but I thought I'd provide some input as I use the REST
plugin.

>From a design, config & stability perspective it's great.  For html
results it's fine but for xml and json results the default configuration
is a little complex and may yield many support questions for new users.
Specifically, xstream is the default handler for XML results but it's not
setup with any aliases or converters so the xml is verbose.  Without a
simplified default config I expect you'll have to field basic questions
about customising xstream which won't be an enjoyable experience.

Similarly the default json result generates xstream's non-intuitive json
structure designed for de-serialization to java.  Again to reduce support
effort it would be better to provide a simpler default.  Switching over to
xstream's jettison driver as the default config is better, but in my case
I've configured it to use the S2 JSON Plugin for serialization and this
works a treat.

Depending on the plans for the JSON plugin, I'd recommend that the REST
plugin adds this as a dependency as the default JSON handler.
Alternatively the JSON Utils from the JSON plugin could be moved into
core.

While on that point though, plugging in new handlers has been very smooth.

Finally, there's still a fair amount of documentation to do.

Perhaps none of this matters though as the majority of users may only be
interested in html results.  In this basic case it is excellent.

I'll be using the REST plugin heavily over the coming months and will
contribute where I can.  Hope that helps.

regards,
 Jeromy Evans

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.

http://raibledesigns.com

Re: Is the REST plugin ready for primetime? CodeBehind?

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.