Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by Jody Landreneau <jo...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/22 03:06:52 UTC

map reduce across phoenix table

Hello,

I'm attempting to write a m/r job to go across(read) my HBase tables that
were written using phoenix. I'm not seeing much info on how this is done. I
feel that if I were to use the normal HBase TableMapReduceUtils I will most
likely not get what I expect. It looks like I would need some utility to
convert a composite primary key back into its fields as they don't seem to
be stored separately. Additionally the key is salted.
Any advice or pointers to documentation would be appreciated. I see there
are a few example for writing to phoenix table but I'm looking to read from
a phoenix table.

Re: map reduce across phoenix table

Posted by Jody Landreneau <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ravi. Yes, I am using a composite row key with salt. Pig might not
be the best option for me since I had planned to do something more unique
in the reduce step. I had tried to make a phoenix call with a group by and
count. It works ok for smaller sets but on larger tables I was getting scan
timeouts. Also, it seemed that what I was trying to do lent itself better
to m/r. Please keep me posted or know of a workaround.

Posted by Ravi Kiran <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jody,