Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr> on 2019/06/22 14:53:22 UTC

[DISCUSSION] where download gradle-wrapper.jar ?

Hello,

With the commit r1861766 on trunk[1], I removed gradle-wrapper.jar from
source (OFBIZ-10145[2]) and now we download it at the first time when
you run 'gradlew'. It's fast download (55ko) so normally transparent

You can try yourself after update your trunk, it's esay :) .

Jacques and me have a different vision on where we should download the
jar and before continue to propagate the deleting on stable branches, I
like to get your opinion.

Jacques suggests to store the gradle-wrapper.jar on own tools repository
source[3] and download through viewvc with one wrapper by stable branch.
I suggest to download it from gradle community on github and store the
release to download in own code source[4]

Your opinion ? or other idea ?

Nicolas

[1]
https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?diff_format=h&view=revision&revision=1861766
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-10145
[3]
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/tools/Buildbot/Gradle/Wrapper/trunk/
[4] https://github.com/gradle/gradle/tree/v5.0.0/gradle/wrapper

--
logoNrd <https://nereide.fr/>
	Nicolas Malin

Apache OFBiz <http://ofbiz.apache.org/>|The Apache Way
<http://theapacheway.com/>|réseau LE <http://www.libre-entreprise.org/>

Re: [DISCUSSION] where download gradle-wrapper.jar ?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Nicolas,

The reason I finally decided to get this way is commented here: https://s.apache.org/Vsy3

In few words, we can no longer find the 2.13 wrapper version at https://github.com/gradle/gradle/tree/v2.13/gradle/wrapper like we still can for 3.2.1
and 5.0

Our stable release relies on it. It's a blocker. And I fear the same could happen in future for newer OFBiz releases. That's why I prefer to keep
copies in our repo.

BTW, Swapnil raised a new issue yesterday. With the current solution what to do for our users when we upgrade Gradle on the trunk?

I suggested a simple solution, so better to read at least the last comments, thanks.

As always, all ideas are welcome

Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 25/06/2019 à 13:53, Taher Alkhateeb a écrit :
> powershell is a necessity on any
> Microsoft platform.

Hi Taher,

Actually we need Powershell anyway. Dos script does not allow to get files from Internet. We need Invoke-WebRequest for that (aliased as wget in[1])

This is not an issue. Invoke-WebRequest was put in with Powershell 3.0 which is available in Windows 7[2] and anyway you can still follow[3]

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/ofbiz-framework/trunk/gradle/init-gradle-wrapper.ps1
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerShell#PowerShell_3.0
[3] https://codehollow.com/2016/02/invoke-webrequests-via-powershell/

HTH

Jacques

Re: [DISCUSSION] where download gradle-wrapper.jar ?

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>.
Hello,

I think also it's a good compromise. At the beginning I would implement
the alternative from 17.12, so you confirm my feeling.

I see the following step :

  * publish 16.11.06 without gradle-wrapper.jar and the documentation
updated to initialize it
  * prepare the release 17.12, 18.12 and trunk with a script to download
gradle-wrapper.jar related
  * publish 17.12.01 without gradle-wrapper.jar, the documentation
updated to initialize it and the helper script.

I will check your proposition for le 16.11 and if my stepping is ok your
you I can works on release branch to finalise this long task :)

Nicolas

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>.
Jacques, in line

On 8/1/19 1:08 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> I also read  there:
>
>    <<Release Policy specifies that binary packages provided by third
> parties which meet certain criteria may be distributed alongside
> official source
>    packages. Such packages are sometimes referred to as "convenience
> binaries" to distinguish them from other binary packages.>>
>
> It gave me another idea. I think we (the OFBiz community) could agree
> that the Gradle wrapper files are "convenience binaries provided by
> third parties which meet certain criteria". Then we can discuss (or
> ask legal) if "distributed alongside official source packages"
> includes downloading them later. That would avoid OFBiz repo in the
> very rare case where the wrapper would not be available in Gradle
> "repo". But it a bit more complicated and not sure it's worth
> following this way

I write my previous message before this your proposition :) , I agree !

we (I) can ask the the board :

"[1] All official releases MUST be uploaded to the official distribution
channel, |www.apache.org/dist|.

Content suitable for the official distribution channel includes:
* Official releases
* "Convenience binaries"
* Cryptographic signatures and checksums
* The KEYS file
* README, CHANGES and similar documents describing distributed content

If an Apache PMC wishes to publish additional materials through the
official distribution channel and there is any question about the
suitability of said materials, the PMC MUST consult with the Board.

"

If you are on case "Convenience binaries", we can share through dist, I
ask the board to confirm that with are on the way, woulfd be a confidence

Nicolas

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution

Re: [DISCUSSION] where download gradle-wrapper.jar ?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Jacopo,

Inline too

Le 01/08/2019 à 07:34, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :
> Hi Jacques,
>
> please see inline:
>
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 6:52 PM Jacques Le Roux <
> jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jacopo,
>>
>> I still don't see what the concerns could be.
>>
>>   From the performance perspective: the (55 Ko!) download would be done
>> only once by instance installed; and when only used instead of the manual
>> procedure.
>>
> I am quoting from [*]:
>
> "PLEASE NOTE The SVN directories under https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/
>   are not to be used to link to releases on download pages or elsewhere.
> Download pages must use the ASF mirror system [...]"
>
> [*] http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#distribution
The download would be from OFBiz repo not from https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/.

This said I get the idea, and it gave me another: as a priority we should download the wrapper from Gradle "repo", and if it's not longer there, use
OFBiz repo. Later would be very rare.

I'll add that in OFBIZ-10145, in order to provide new init-gradle-wrapper scripts for hopefully next releases...

>>   From the legal perspective, I don't see any issues.
>>
> For the legal perspective, considering that we would distribute from svn
> files that are not part of a release, this may be relevant [**]:
>
> "Unreleased materials, in original or derived form... [...]:
>
>     - MUST NOT be distributed through channels which encourage use by anyone
>     outside the project development community.

I also read  there:

    <<Release Policy specifies that binary packages provided by third parties which meet certain criteria may be distributed alongside official source
    packages. Such packages are sometimes referred to as "convenience binaries" to distinguish them from other binary packages.>>

It gave me another idea. I think we (the OFBiz community) could agree that the Gradle wrapper files are "convenience binaries provided by third
parties which meet certain criteria". Then we can discuss (or ask legal) if "distributed alongside official source packages" includes downloading them
later. That would avoid OFBiz repo in the very rare case where the wrapper would not be available in Gradle "repo". But it a bit more complicated and
not sure it's worth following this way

>     - MUST NOT be advertised to anyone outside of the project development
>     community.

I don't think we would advertise it

>     - MAY be distributed to consenting members of a development community."

Again the idea of putting the Gradle wrapper files surges here. Again seems convoluted. I believe Gradle will not soon remove from their "repo" the
wrapper versions which are used by R17 and R18.

Anyway it's not mine to decide but the community

> [**] http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution#unreleased
>
> Jacopo
>

>> But I'm not much opinionated for R16 either. Let's do it this way then.
>>
>> Jacques

I must add here that I'm not doing that for myself but to ease UX. That's why it's not something I'm much opinionated about, after all it's only sugar
for users...

Nevertheless, we could also have the init scripts in the branches (to be removed when releasing if we don't agree with my proposition) for devs, like
at least Nicolas and I, who want an easiest experience when installing for customers...

I can't think at anything else :)

Jacques

Re: [DISCUSSION] where download gradle-wrapper.jar ?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 06/08/2019 à 11:40, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :
> On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 7:08 PM Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>
> wrote:
>
>> And to be clear: we don't need to muck around testing if a version is not
>> on Gradle Github.
>>
>> We can directly take it from Bintray, et voilà :) Can't be simpler!
>
> I agree that Bintray seems a good idea: my only concern is about the
> license of the binary file; are we allowed to create one and license it
> with an compatible license?
>
> Jacopo

I'm not sure about the issue you think about. If I refer at https://github.com/gradle/gradle/issues/2852 there should be no issues. It's plain ASL2
licensed like all the rest of Gradle, isn'it?

The users will possibly download it after they downloaded the package.

Do I miss something?

Jacques

Re: [DISCUSSION] where download gradle-wrapper.jar ?

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Nicolas,

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Jacopo,

I still don't see what the concerns could be.

 From the performance perspective: the (55 Ko!) download would be done only once by instance installed; and when only used instead of the manual procedure.
 From the legal perspective, I don't see any issues.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Jacopo,

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Swapnil, @All,

In Builbot config, I have reverted the commits related to grabbing Gradle Wrapper files from tools.
The Gradle Wrapper files will stay in branches and trunk, so not point getting them during builds.
For the same reason, I have also removed the copies in tools\Buildbot\Gradle\Wrapper.

Posted by Swapnil M Mane <sw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
> Then the connexion to get the wrapper is only once during the installation, the scaling issue is peanuts.

If ever we worry about the load on the ASF svn (or git) server (really we should not), why not use Gradle Github as suggested Nicolas?

My concern was that sometimes the wrapper disappears there. But that should be only in a far future for old, no longer supported, OFBiz releases.

If we do so we could also use https://services.gradle.org/distributions to verify the wrapper checksum.

Sincerely I don't think it's needed, I just mention it as a second argument.

Jacques

Re: [DISCUSSION] where download gradle-wrapper.jar ?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
A last thing that you pointed to in OFBIZ-10145 Swapnil.

Security issue with a Gradle version used in an already released package.

Like with other security issues we have no other way than letting the user upgrade OFBiz.

So we don't need to "allow imperceptible Gradle upgrade".

Then the connexion to get the wrapper is only once during the installation, the scaling issue is peanuts.

I trust we all agree to keep the wrapper in the trunk. It's not an issue there. We can revert the changes we did in trunk.

Posted by Swapnil M Mane <sw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Mathieu, Nicolas,

@Mathieu, I disagree. IMO this is part of the release process and can be handled by the RM (Release Manager).

When releasing, all the RM has to do is to verify the version in the wrapper is the right one. It it's not, s/he must upgrade Gradle locally and save
the wrapper files in tools.
This saving must be done just after the upgrade. Else the local wrapper files will be overwritten by the ones in tools at the next use of the gradlew
script (yes, I got caught by that :/).

There should be trivial side effect in gradlew scripts due to the Gradle upgrade. Currently only the test on wrapper presence in
init-gradle-wrapper.sh and the ASL2 license header are removed.
It's only one block, easy to put back from repo. This will be documented for the RM as mentioned in OFBIZ-10145.

I'm not the release manager but all committers can do the same for the trunk. And that's what I did.

After applying the last waiting gradlew.bat.patch in OFBIZ-10145 I was able to follow this way.

BTW, I was mislead by Gradle versions names in URL (sometimes?) inconsistent. You have

    https://github.com/gradle/gradle/tree/v5.5.0/gradle/wrapper (5.5.0) (used as RELEASE value in init-gradle-wrapper.sh)

but

    https://services.gradle.org/distributions/gradle-5.5-bin.zip (5.5)

So to update Gradle it's

    |gradlew wrapper --gradle-version=5.5 --distribution-type=all|

not

    gradlew wrapper --gradle-version 5.5.0|--distribution-type=all|

All is better for IDE, default is bin[1].

@Mathieu, I found a trivial issue in your last commits and fixed it: repeated "-Xms64m" in gradlew scripts.

@Nicolas, the version of init-gradle-wrapper.ps1 you committed used HTTPS. I have changed that to HTTP,  not everyone has an HTTPS access to the tools
repo.

Anyway, using the last command worked for me on Windows.

I committed the trunk and tools changes.

[1] https://mrhaki.blogspot.com/2016/09/gradle-goodness-specify-wrapper-version.html

Jacques

Posted by Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr>.
Hello Nicolas,

Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr> writes:

> I would had tend to be agree with you with the first step done.
>
> At this time, only [curl,wget] is necessary, and download realease at
> the fisrt gradlew command call.

‘grep’ and ‘whereis’ are currently needed in a Unix environment too. ;-)

> We take the jar, put it directly at the good place and continue the job.

Unfortunately this is not that simple. Here are two important
requirements that the current version of “init-gradle-wrapper.sh” is not
handling:

    1) The integrity of downloaded jar must be checked (via
       checksum). This is important both for reliability and security
       reasons. If we don't do that our users are vulnerable to DNS
       spoofing.

    2) The downloaded jar needs to be automatically upgraded. Currently
       when committers are upgrading Gradle (like I just did in revision
       1862326) the users must delete their “gradle-wrapper.jar”
       manually to not keep using their local outdated version which
       might be incompatible.

In fact the more I think about the problem we are trying to solve, the
more I am convinced we should not try to write our own additional layer
of build system which if done seriously will lead to complex code.

Gradle wrapper is suppposed to be a convenience both for maintainers and
users to facilitate the use of a single and consistent version of
Gradle. IMO with the requirement of not distributing
“gradle-wrapper.jar” in our releases this is becoming a burden for
maintainers and an unreliable solution for users.

As a consequence, I would recommend keeping the wrapper jar in our VCS
repository, and simply remove it along side the “gradlew” scripts from
our release archives. We would then provide preliminary build
instructions stating the required version of Gradle and let users choose
how they want to install it [1].

[1] https://docs.gradle.org/current/userguide/installation.html

--
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37

Re: [DISCUSSION] where download gradle-wrapper.jar ?

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>.
I would had tend to be agree with you with the first step done.

At this time, only [curl,wget] is necessary, and download realease at
the fisrt gradlew command call.

We take the jar, put it directly at the good place and continue the job.

If the person haven't [curl,wget], it's in general more easier to load
it instead java jre, and if no Internet is present this solve the
problem because he can't continue anyway to download OFBiz's dependencies :)

Nicolas

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
> Using ofbiz/tools/gradle/wrapper/v3.2.1/*, as you suggest, fits also with me :)
It's actually a (slightly) better solution, because then there no duplication (we speak about Kb here). Though it's maybe less clear than named
revisions. Anyway it's the community to decide

Jacques

Re: [DISCUSSION] where download gradle-wrapper.jar ?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Nicolas,

Inline....

Le 25/06/2019 à 11:49, Nicolas Malin a écrit :
> My vision is to have the code base near the building package as possible. If we keep gradle-wrapper.jar for developing comfort, it's a risk for me
> to generate an issue on release package due to not enough test after package creation.

Normally the wrapper version in tools corresponds to an OFBiz package, then no worries at all.
I'd address below the unlikely  issue of multiple wrapper versions for an OFBiz package.
If it's your concern, you have a point with that, we missed it so far and I thank you for pushing us to think more. BTW same compliment to Swapnil :)
I can't foresee other possible problems, do you have something else in mind?

> Otherwise, I have a problem with the resolution on gradle-wrapper based only on branches, with that the wrapper resolved would be always the up to
> date related to branch code base. It's nice for demo, buildbot and developer but open a potential problem for package.
> 16.05 works with gradle 3.2.1 for any reason we need to update the wrapper to 4.0.0, 16.06 works with it but all previous package has been a
> potential incompatibility.We can decide to say it's not own problem however I prefer to offer a solution more flexible like store the wrapper by
> version : ofbiz/tools/gradle/wrapper/v3.2.1/* as the gradle community works. Also possibility to call wrapper verion by wrapper it self, I really
> une preference to resolve direclty the wrapper on the good version.
This is indeed a potential concern if a Gradle version has a (high) vulnerability. We would then (absolutely) need to upgrade Gradle and release new
OFBiz packages for supported branches.This said, it would be indeed an issue in the future for users still using a "not longer supported" OFBiz
released package. Do you see other reasons for discrepancy between the wrapper in tools and an OFBiz package?

I say potential because a high Gradle vulnerability never happened so far and even a low Gradle vulnerability is a very rare thing.  It happened once
2+ years ago, only in Gradle 2.12 (04/2016), that we never used[1].  Of course this does not mean that another vulnerability could not happen in future...

Currently the idea is to keep a version of the wrapper by branch as it's done in tools[2]. And already used in Buildbot[3], even if there for the
moment it only overwrites the same version by branch.

I suggest that we not only keep a version by branch but, if necessary, also by versions used by a release package. So, for instance, if we need to
update 16.11.06 to use a newer version of the wrapper we would keep this version in tools as[4], would create scripts specifically for it and embed
them in the package. Using ofbiz/tools/gradle/wrapper/v3.2.1/*, as you suggest, fits also with me :)

[1] https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-16071/Gradle.html (Gradle Enterprise is another thing and not OFBiz responsibility)
[2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/tools/Buildbot/Gradle/Wrapper
[3] https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/buildbot/aegis/buildmaster/master1/projects/ofbiz.conf
[4] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/tools/Buildbot/Gradle/Wrapper/16.11.06

> On second time I prefer to resolve the wrapper from the origin community (keep resolution near source code, have always source origin) but after
> different remarks maybe we can couple gradle community and own resolution form own repository as fallback.
>
> Nicolas

I think I mostly rephrased your proposition to be sure we are on the same page, and for people to get a clear idea of the situation.

I see only one future problem getting wrappers directly from Gradle community in released OFBiz packages: when it become impossible (eg v2.13). We
don't know when it will happen, we just know that it will happen! Having them saved in our repo is peace of mind...

Again thanks for the discussion :)

Jacques

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Yes, as long as we don't release it there are no problems with that.

Jacques

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr>.

Posted by Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr>.
Hello,

Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr> writes:

> With the commit r1861766 on trunk[1], I removed gradle-wrapper.jar
> from source (OFBIZ-10145[2]) and now we download it at the first time
> when you run 'gradlew'. It's fast download (55ko) so normally
> transparent
>
> You can try yourself after update your trunk, it's esay :) .

The “gradlew-wrapper.jar” should not have been removed from ‘trunk’ in
the first place. Sorry for repeating myself but the requirements of not
distributing this jar is concerning only the *releases archives* not the
*repositories* as stated in LEGAL-288 [1].

For convenience it has been proposed to patch the “gradlew” script
included in *release archive* instead of providing only the instructions
telling the user how to download the wrapper manually.

The act of patching the “gradlew” script should be done at release time,
and we should not commit the patched script in our VCS repository since
as Swapnil [2] explained it doesn't play well with the standard way of
upgrading Gradle:

   $ ./gradlew wrapper --gradle-version=5.4.1 --distribution-type=bin

I don't have an opinion regarding how the patching process should be
documented in the release instructions.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-288?focusedCommentId=15980830&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-15980830
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-10145?focusedCommentId=16869382&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-16869382

> Jacques and me have a different vision on where we should download the
> jar and before continue to propagate the deleting on stable branches,
> I like to get your opinion.

Can you add “gradlew-wrapper.jar” back in ‘trunk’ instead? :-)